Remodel & Renovate in Boston>Question Details

Cate, Other/Just Looking in Boston, MA

I bought a house 3 years ago in Boston. With the recent floods I had a sewerage backup which I handled and did the claim etc etc. When the?

Asked by Cate, Boston, MA Mon May 3, 2010

draincleaner came outhe told me the pipe in my basement has a "u" shape instead of being straight. He said that old houses have this and years ago they city gave out vouchers to have it fixed. Apparently whomever owned my housedidnt cash in and I still have the illegal piping which caused the original backup.
To fix it now is over 1K, where can i look to see if there is any city money to do this. I don't want the backup again but 1K is also a ton of money

Help the community by answering this question:


Cate, count your blessings that the cost is only $1,000. If you own a condominium, chances are that this might be addressed as a necessary repair and paid in part or whole by the association. The "U" pipe in the basement is actually a trap to prevent sewer gasses from passing into the property and perhaps further. Many properties now have a valve that acts to prevent a sewage surge from Back Flowing into the building and possibly out a ground floor toilet. You would best to contact the engineering department at the BWSC as chances are you are not alone.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 6, 2010
Try these organizations:

Boston Redevelopment Authority
One City Hall Square
Boston, MA 02201
Phone:(617) 722-4300

Inspectional Services Department
1010 Massachusetts Avenue
5th Floor
Boston, MA 02118
(617) 635-5300

Also Boston Water and Sewer. Which Liz mentioned below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 3, 2010
Call Boston Water & Sewer Operation Department at 617-989-7900. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 3, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer