Remodel & Renovate in 11230>Question Details

Concetta Pri…, Real Estate Pro in Brooklyn, NY

I bought a Condo 3 yrs ago.with the opion to use the wahser and dryer room in the basement of the building.after two years there the board recommended

Asked by Concetta Prisco, Brooklyn, NY Wed Dec 8, 2010

it be closed due to safety reasons. what s unsafe I still have no idea..However that was one of the selling points.
when mention to the board I am told only by one person on the board who is the sponser ,that I should but awasher and dryer in my apartment.But there is only one place to put one and it would cost 2000 to 3000 to run electric and plumbing. Then I am told I may not beable to hook up the hose to the dryer out the wall to vent out the dryer. But yet I see apartments do have it done. Whats going on here, HELP! Give me some answeres please.

Answers

7
Thanks to all who answered my question about the condo washer and dyer problem. It was taken care of because of all the answer and solutions to the problem I received on it . thank you, thank you thank you All.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
First of all happy holidays! It seems you were promised something that never happened. You should have at least two or three licensed contractors that does plumbing work come out and take a look at your condo space to see if its possible to hook up the dryer with the washer. If so, you should get three estimated costs in writing from those contractors and present it with a letter from you or your lawyer to your board. You should ask for them to pay part or all of the costs for installation if you put on the pressure.

Let me know how it turns out.
Web Reference: http://www.RhondaHolt.com
You should have been notified of the specific violation as "safety" is very vague and broad.

Was there a Buildings Department violation issued (should be a summons etc) or was someone hurt in the laundry area and is suing the condo? The board should be able to provide a specific reason for the closure.

With this knowledge then you can decide upon a course of action to take (i.e. attorney etc.).

Please let us know the specifics.

Bonnie Chernin and David Rogoff
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
917-593-4068 (CELL)
As mentioned in the other posts, the most important thing to do in this situation is to attend the board meetings as well as getting other members in the community to side with you and attend the meetings. Another possibility is to befriend some of the board members and express to them the costs to install the unit. There are benefits to installing the unit such as doing your own laundry and increasing the price of your Condo. I hope everything works out for you.
1st. You have to attend board meetings. The board has the power, but as my colleagues have said there is strength in numbers. Get the other owners behind you if they believe it should be there.

To your Success
Your attendance at co-op board meetings may be necessary in order to get the answer to what the safety reason is, and to publicly voice your opinion. In addition by attending board meetings you may find others with the same concerns. There is strength in numbers. It's important to remember that communication makes a community prosper. If you don't get the results you desire you could attempt to get on the board the next time there are elections. You may be able to create relationships within the board and build consensus on issues that you feel strongly about.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Unfortunately if the board voted to remove the laundry room, very little can be done-- unless you and other owners all voice dissatisfaction together--for any legal rights on the issue, consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in real estate, have all documentation reviewed, and see exactly what options you may have--then go from there.