Remodel & Renovate in 21061>Question Details

ktabshire, Home Owner in Glen Burnie, MD

I am trying to figure out how much it is going to cost to add a (Full) bathroom in my basement. I have a fully unfinished basement.

Asked by ktabshire, Glen Burnie, MD Mon May 27, 2013

Answers

6
I agree with Don, nicely said!
While I agree that it probably can be done for under $10,000, I disagree that you'll get a "full return on your investment." That depends on a lot of things. For example, adding a second bathroom to a 4-bedroom home will produce an excellent return. Adding a fourth bathroom to a 4-bedroom home will produce a much lower return.

If you are planning on finishing the basement, then--yes--it makes sense to add a bath. It's a real pain to have to go upstairs to get to a bathroom.

It also, obviously, depends on the quality of the job.

And without rough-ins, your price will vary, depending on where you locate it.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You are so welcome! These improvements will definitely bump up your home's value, it's common for clients searching for homes to discount homes without finished basements (I've seen that on many occasions). I would be thrilled to get you in touch with the company I spoke of, they are fabulous! Looking forward to hearing from you!
Laura,
We do not have the rough in for the bathroom. But I have been trying to figure out how much adding a full bath would do to our home value. We are thinking about doing the basement in phases. Do a family room with bathroom.

Jennifer,

I would like it very much to get in contact with your general contractor. So my family can get an estimate on what it is going to cost us. I will contact you to get the information.

Thank you both
Hi Ktab,

That will depend on whether your basement already has a rough-in for a full bath or will need special plumbing. In either case the cost should be less than $10k and you will get that full return back on your investment in your homes value.
Hi, I'm a real estate agent who works in the Glen Burnie area. I think the most important factor in getting any sort of contracting work done is to hire a company with a proven track record, excellent reputation, and quality workmanship. I have an great relationship with a general contractor who would be happy to help you and could give you an estimate. With adding a bathroom to the lower level, it really all depends on how large you want it to be, what sort of fixtures and finishes you desire, whether or not there's a rough-in for plumbing, etc. If you have any questions or would like to be put in touch with a great contracting company, please don't hesitate to call me at 443-929-1755 or email at jen.brown@LNF.com