Joe H., Home Seller in Coconut Creek, FL

I am remodeling my master bathroom and want to replace the countertop with granite. Should I leave the makeup desk or just go straight across?

Asked by Joe H., Coconut Creek, FL Sun Jan 17, 2010

We have the traditional 2 sink vanity with a section in the middle of the countertop for a makeup desk that is about 6" lower than the sinks on each side. I want to replace the makeup desk with a multiple drawer section and put a solid piece of granite across the entire 74". How will this affect future resell?

Answers

6
Hi Joe-

You have an interesting question. The first thing I would consider is how important the style change is to you and your use of the bathroom. As long as your change is not making the bathroom difficult to use or making it unappealing then you should do what will make you enjoy your home more. I would make sure to stay with colors that are currently being used, stay away from colors and styles that have a dated look. Choose tasteful fixtures and colors and the impact on resale should be minimal in either direction. Good luck and enjoy your bathroom.

Sandra Rathe
954-547-4601
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 17, 2010
Granite is nearly over, so you'd best be doing this for yourself.

Since you're doing this FOR yourself, you'd best not be doing this BY yourself. Bring a designer in there before you mess up the entire project. Some stone companies will rent you one for very little money.
If most of the houses in your neighborhood have master bathrooms with the feature that you're thinking about adding to yours, then you'll need to add it just to be on par with your competition. If most of the houses in your neighborhood don't have that feature in their master bathrooms, then you might be wasting your money if you're doing it expecting to get a higher price. If you'd like to make the change simply to improve your own quality of life, and if you don't care whether or not you'll see a positive return on your investment, then it might make sense to make that change. Nevertheless, Angela, Mark and Patrick are correct.
Hi Joe:

To be honest, I don't think it will affect your so much but it will give you that much needed edge to sell a home in our current market. The fresher and more appealing the interior of a home is, the faster it will sell.

Going across sounds like a good idea - it will give that cleaner, more streamlined look that is much more in vogue down here right now.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes and happy remodeling!!

Angela
Villa G Realty, Inc.
Tel: 954-816-7996
Web Reference: http://www.villagrealty.com
Six of one half dozen of another. Some may want a makeup area some may not care. What are most homes in your area offering? If you plan on selling for sure in a few years then maybe remodel for future sale, but if you really don't plan on selling anytime soon, remodel for your lifestyle and taste. It's your house make it the way you want. You can always change it back later to meet what ever may be in at that time.
Hi again,

No way anyone could possibly answer this question with any accuracy. Do a nice job and it won't lower the value of the house. Do a poor job and it will.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.