Remodel & Renovate in 78626>Question Details

buzzlizzy, Home Seller in Georgetown, TX

I am refinishing beautiful, long-leaf pine floors in historical home. For best resaIe, should I choose a high gloss or low-gloss sheen.

Asked by buzzlizzy, Georgetown, TX Sun Aug 25, 2013

Pic of the home before the remodel: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1310-E-University-Ave-Geor…

Answers

9
It is a personnel preference for each client. Some like the low gloss because it shows less dust. Some like the high gloss because of the glow. I grew up in a home with high gloss and my parents worked hard to keep it looking that way. The lower gloss is easier to maintain. Basically the decision is what type of clientele you wish to attract and what the price point will be on the home. I would go with a high gloss it looks more period as to when most of the homes were built. Hope this helps.
It is personal preference really and architectural style. I prefer low gloss. Most people cant really tell the difference i have found. Did you ask the installer what is more popular for most of their customers?
I would also prefer low gloss finish. Wood floors are beautiful and should be able to be as natural as possible. Though as you said before, it is personal preference.
Michael Foster http://www.aandrwoodfloors.com/restoration3.htm
Flag Tue Sep 9, 2014
If I'm not too late.... what I have always done is put two coats of high gloss... for strength, then the final coat should be "satin" poly.... shiny floors really look awful in historic homes.
I personally would prefer a low gloss because I have dogs and kids in the house quite a bit. Best bet would be to bring in a professional.

Josh Daniels
REALTOR
Russell Cain Real Estate
Call Leo from Artistic Wood Floors 979-218-3338. He will be able to give you the best advice on your flooring needs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
BuzzLilly,

Good day to you. I do agree with George. Unless you are well versed in Floor re-finishing especially with old historical floors, I would definitely call in a consultant and strongly consider having it professionally done. You want above all else to protect the original integrity of what you have. You can only re-finish those boards so many times. The question is have they been refinished before and if so, how many times. Pine is extremely soft. Sanding will really take away thickness if not done correctly.

As for the finish sheen, gloss will give a bright shiny "eye drawing" appearance but will also enhance any scars, stains, defects, etc. Mid-sheens or low gloss will not be as "popping" to the eyes but will buffer or hide a lot of the scars, etc. It also depends upon where you want the homebuyers' (or others for that matter) eyes to be drawn to. If you want them to see the architectural details or the furnishings then stick with lower gloss. It is always in the details.

Also consider before you take upon yourself this great task, stripping and re-buffing/ waxing the floors. This process can go a long ways in making old floors look beautiful again and the cost is WAY less. The impact is also less to the integrity of the floors.

Good luck to you. You have a beautifual home.

Stephen B. McClain, Broker Owner
Cornerstone New Home Solutions

512-876-3116
smcclain@cornerstonenewhomesolutions.com
It's a beautiful home and property. I would recommend maintaining as close as possible to the original finish (in my experience, I have found that pine is a soft wood so be careful when you sand it ( I recommend speaking with Ray at TownSquare Flooring in Georgetown regarding process).
Hello, I just looked at the pictures of your home. You have a gorgeous home. I love your style. By just looking at the pictures, it doesn't look as though you need to replace the flooring. I don't think you're going to have any trouble selling this home in this market. It is in a great location, shows beautifully and well maintained. Great time to put your home on the market. Georgetown is in need of more listings. But in answer to your question. I would probably go with a low-gloss sheen, less distracting from a high gloss shine and more natural looking.

Paula Deleon, REALTOR, ABR, CRS, SRES
Goldwasser Real Estate
512 948 1886
http://www.luxurygeorgetown.com
Hi Paula,

Thank you for your feedback! 3 weeks ago I had a big water leak that affected all of the wood floors and initiated a major renovation. I am working with an experienced floor guy to salvage the floors as they are original to the house (third oldest in town) and simply irreplaceable. I hope to have the work completed in 6-8 weeks and then list the house. I have been pleased with my agent, Kris Kasper, and will be using him, again. We will be hosting an open house for Realtors (with lots of yummy food and wine); I hope you will attend. :)

Liz
Flag Sun Aug 25, 2013
The vintage homes here in Georgetown are just amazing. I generally find people love the high gloss for smaller properties (like condos), but low-gloss for traditional homes. The high gloss looks nice, but feedback I usually get is that high gloss appears to require more maintenance (from the buyer perspective) - especially if they have children.
Hi Jeff!

Thank you so much for your feedback - it is very helpful. So far consensus is low sheen/satin, and I think you are all on to something! I entertained the idea of the high gloss as it looks so nice, but you are right on the upkeep!

I'll be hosting an open house for agents when the house is listed after the work is complete; I hope you will attend!

With wishes for cooler weather :),

Liz
Flag Sun Aug 25, 2013