Remodel & Renovate in 90814>Question Details

Particlemn, Other/Just Looking in 90814

I am looking to add a seconf bathroom to my house. The bathroom will be installed within the exisiting footprint of the house. I will fully permit

Asked by Particlemn, 90814 Tue Nov 10, 2009

this addition with the city of long beach, my question is once i get a final on my permits, do i need to have the addition recorded? or how will it reflect that my house is now a 2 bd 2 bath house.
Thanks in advance

Answers

5
When the permits are finaled the County Tax Assessor is provided the information so that it will be reflected on their records and will add value to your home that will be added to your property tax bill. Go to the 4th floor at the City Hall to Planning and Building and they can explain how the process works.

This will also add future value when you go to sell too.

Barbara Robbins-Olexa, Broker
L B Brokerage
714-26-7270
bstrealtor@aol.com
Servicing Long Beach & Neighboring Communities for 30+ years
http://www.barb ararobbinsolexa.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 11, 2009
Particlemn,

I am not familiar with Long Beach, but in Santa Clara County where I work, all permits that are pulled and finaled are provided to the county assessor's office. The county then sends a questionnaire to the homeowner asking about the nature of the work. The information reported back to the county is then used to update the county records.

When requesting your permit from the city of Long Beach, ask the Building Department official how the process works.

I think you are making a wise decision in getting the work permitted. It will certainly benefit you by making certain the work being done meets today's building and safety codes.

Good luck with the addition,
April Tavares, GRI, ASP
Realtor, DRE License #01742179
Web Reference: http://www.AprilTavares.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 10, 2009
Just finished a similar remodel in Midway City. All permits pulled and came out beautiful. Installed a window as well as a wall fan which is quite and very effective. It was packed in a very small area using a corner sink but has a very nice sizer shower area. Call for pictures.
Tim Hund
http://timhundtoolman.com/
714-893-5000
Dear Particlemn,

I have had several clients follow all these steps as mentioned and then when I have come along to list the home....several years later...the tax records have NOT reflected the add ons at all!

I STRONGLY suggest that you follow-up with the folks at the Co. Tax Assessor's office after you send them back their form for the reassessment. If you wish to have me look up your property for you on line about two months after they receive your paperwork...I could do so with our online Realtor system to see if it shows up.

If it does not, then you take the additionaly steps with the Tax Assessor's office to see it is corrected.
Afterall it creates a question in a future buyer's and or their appraiser's mind that you have unpermitted work.....when indeed you don't. This causes escrow delays and hassle when you least want it.

Hope this helps, feel free to call or email anytime.

sincerely,

Yvonne Kelly-Brazell
Prudential Californai Realty
562-201-1230 (**text or call)
SuperIrishRealtor@gmail.com
Great answer from Barbara!