Remodel & Renovate in 90004>Question Details

Catcray, Other/Just Looking in 90004

How often must a landlord/lady paint and replace carpeting?

Asked by Catcray, 90004 Mon Nov 9, 2009

I thought it was every 7 years.

Answers

8
Deborah Bremner’s answer
Hi Catcray;
Based on your question, I am assuming that this is replacement for an EXISTING tenant who wants their carpet or paint done. I am not sure if you are the landlord or the tenant, but the logic of the answer works either way. It is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE to keep an existing tenant than it is to find a new one. And as a tenant, it is MUCH EASIER to stay where you are than to move.
If I were the tenant asking for those repairs/ upgrades, I would approach it like this: "I'm happy here in my property, but the carpet/ paint is looking worn. Perhaps, instead of me moving, we could arrange something where you buy the paint and carpet, and I pay for the labor. Then I'll sign a new 1 year lease, and deduct 1/6 of the labor cost from each of the next 6 months rent.
If I were the landlord, I would suggest that the tenant paint/ recarpet the property with his choice/ your approval of colors and materials, and deduct the cost from his rent on a monthly basis after signing a new lease.
To me, this is win/win: The landlord keeps a good long term tenant, and the tenant gets to stay in their home while enjoying pride of ownership. And a happy tenant tends to be a better tenant overall.
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR
Certified Short Sale Professional
Coldwell Banker Brentwood West
11999 San Vicente Blvd. Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(D) 310.571.1364
(C) 310.422.4288
(F) 310.820.1457
http://www.TheBremnerGroup.com
TheBremnerGroup@gmail.com
Blogging at: http://TheBremnerGroup.com/blog
It is up to the landlord. And if you live in a rent controlled unit, the chances are that their is absolutely no reasonable financial reason for the landlord to do either of the things you are asking. On the other hand, if you live in a non rent controlled unit, it will probably be less expensive for the landlord to comply with your request than it will be for him to find another tenant.
I don't know of a "legal" requirement for this but the landlords in my area will repaint the entire rental and replace all the carpeting after every tenant.
whos responsibility is it if the home is old and a door comes off because the wood is softinig and screws cant attach them selfs to the wood?
Under the law when the carpet should be changed out if it becomes a safety trip hazard (liability) issue or health violation mold or mildew, all a landlord needs to do is keep it clean.

The Unit shall be painted at the owners discretion, if the paint was well taken care of and is clean and in good fair condition he is not obligated to repaint, this would be considered cosmetic.

As long as the rental is habitable and safe for humans cosmetics are unenforceable.

The implied warranty of habitability does not cover cosmetic or aesthetics.

GREEN VS SUPERIOR COURT
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That is how many people look at that kind of thing. It is not about the time frame, it is about the condition. When the condition requires replacement whether it is at 1 year or 25 it needs to be done. Until then, it serves its purpose.
It depends on the condition of the paint or carpet, if carpet is worn or stained and cant be cleaned then it should be replaced, The unit or house should be painted every time
No. At least not in any area I know of.

It's at the discretion of the landlord. How often does it need to be replaced? Maybe more frequently than 7 years. Maybe less so. I expect that "7 years" is just some rule of thumb someone suggested somewhere. Or else it was some average based on some (possibly unreliable) survey.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA