Remodel & Renovate in 32826>Question Details

Zack Hamashin, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

How much would it cost to install new AC units in a 1200 sqft home? Its a bank owned home and the previous owners took the old outdoor and indoor

Asked by Zack Hamashin, Orlando, FL Tue Sep 8, 2009

unit. I want to find out how much it could cost me to install the new units before I buy it. The previous ductwork is all still in place, it just may need to get cleaned.

Answers

7
Hi Zack,

In the past couple years we've installed a new systems in one of our rentals and in our own home. Cost will defineitely vary depending on the quality of the system you want to install. If it's purely for investment, then you probably can get a low end system in the $3K range. If it's for your own home or if you want to market your rental as having an energy efficient system, then $5K will not be enough. It's great to find good local contacts, but you should alwasy shop around and get multiple written quotes form at least three vendors.

The point Zack brings up is a very good one. Bank owned properties are sold as is. I have been in many that have been stripped of anything of value including the entire Air-co system. These properties rarely qualify for special financing, but it is possible to get conventional financing based on the repaired value of the home. The lender will probably want to hold the repair costs in escrow and pay the vendors directly when the work is completed.

If you are up for a challenge, stripped properties can be a great opportunity. I've seen a few stripped golf course homes for going for $100K and needing probably $20 to $25K's worth of work. They'd easily be worth $150K or more when the work was finished.

Mark LeMenager
Weichert, Realtors - Hallmark Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 9, 2009
I think it depends on the area you live in and the person you hire to do it. I would call around to local AC installation companies and see how much they charge. They should be able to give you a price to give you a general idea of what you're going to be paying. I would definitely start with this to get an idea of what the price is. http://www.arlingtonheating.com/services/heating-ac-installation.php
Flag Mon Feb 23, 2015
Center air-conditioner installation charges vary according to installation company charges, space layout and which compressor are you used. So before installation center A/C, you need to good market research.
Hi Zack:

It just depends on how efficient you want it to be. Around $3000 to $3500 would be a safe estimate. Keep in mind if you were to pick a system with above average efficiency this number can go much higher.

I do have a great A/C contractor that I have worked with multiple times, feel free to let me know if you would like me to pass along his info to you.

In the meantime, below is the link to some foreclosure homes for sale in 32826 area code:

http://abidhendi.orlandopropertiesonline.com/listings/areas/…

Hope this helps.

Abraham Bidhendi
Top Producer Realtor with over 26 years of experience
Awarded as Exit's TOP Buyer side Transactions for the State of Florida
Exit Realty Access, LLC
Direct: (407) 744-2533
Fax: (407) 444-9925
Email: REOsofflorida@msn.com
Search Entire MLS At: http://abidhendi.orlandopropertiesonline.com/search
Kissimmee Office: 391 N. Main St., Kissimmee, FL 34741
Altamonte Springs Office: 660 Palm Springs Dr., Suite D, Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
a new A/C for a 1200 sq ft home installed will run you anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 depending on how energy efficient it is, provided that all you need is the inside and outside units replaced. That price will not include any duct work.
Prices will vary greatly from the various people. I have n AC guy that installed and air handler for under $600 in a place about the same size. that included the unit. Some companies may exceed $1000 The compressor included you can expect about $1500 to be a good price.

Ken Anderson
321-246-3190
http://www.apexonerealty.com
Might you know someone in the Los Angeles area??
Flag Wed May 14, 2014
I put a new unit with a heat pump in my 1900 sq. ft. home last year. I used a company like my own - small, runs it himself. Cost me around $1500 for a 13 seer unit. Like you, we had done our own ductwork and that part was fine.
I recommend getting some names from other contracting pros you or neighbors might know. That's how I found him and I don't regret it. The other answer is correct - if you go with a regular company that rolls logo'd trucks, etc. you are definately looking at at least $3k.
Hi Zack,

It could be 3k to 5k depending on the contractor and model type. I have come across this often and find the best way to get the best price is to get a few quotes. If you wish I can email you the information for the tech I use in my transactions. I have found him to be fair and reliable over the years.
Web Reference: http://www.devivorealty.com