Remodel & Renovate in 60130>Question Details

llaroco, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

How much would it cost to demolish a house built in 1923 on a 38x123 lot in Forest Park, IL 60130?

Asked by llaroco, Chicago, IL Thu Jan 31, 2013

A home built in 1923 will more than likely have asbestos, and lead paint. Is this home of any historical significance? It may be in a protected historic district. It is best to start with City Hall and find out what the ordinance is to tear down a home. They have a list of procedures, and steps to take. The City should also have a list of approved contractors that can perform the job. The same contractors can give you a bid for the demolition.
You haven't given me enough information about the property. I would need to know if heavy construction can access the site. I would also need the size( square footage) of the home, number of stories and type of construction , brick or frame. the cost will also depend if there is remediation work ( i.e. removal of asbestos) needed before the demo.
Much will depend on if there are any hazardous materials used such as asbestos siding or insulation on pipes. Around here a demo costs $20-30k with no complications requiring mitigation.