Remodel & Renovate in Denver>Question Details

Cheryl Lohuis, Real Estate Pro in Greenwood Village, CO

How much would it cost to build a 450 s.f. out-building, like an art studio, heated, 2 doors, 5 windows? Thanks you!

Asked by Cheryl Lohuis, Greenwood Village, CO Thu Aug 30, 2012

in my back yard, with 5 large double pane vinvyl windows, two doors, a skylight, electric baseboard heat and synthetic stucco brick siding? Concrete pad underneath and structural wood floors? Thanks you!In Denver Colorado metro area. Thanks so much!

Answers

6
Yes, check with A-shed. Don't forget you probably want electrical...another permit.
We built a shed for $1,200-
It's good advice to check with your county on setbacks and zoning before you begin this process. 10-20K+ is easy to spend on a small garage. If you can get a shipping container approved by the county, you can get a refurbished one for ~5K and have a qualified contractor insulate it and add elec, water, etc. City of Denver does not allow shipping containers as accessory dwelling units (ADUs) yet. I am waiting for someone to pioneer this for an art studio as well!

You might also want to talk with A-Shed in Denver. They are completely local and offer custom buildout with windows, etc. Free in home consultation. http://a-shed.com/

I have a great contractor referral for you if you'd like to get in touch with me as well...
http://heathertruhan.com

Good luck! Art = happy!
Cheryl,

I would start with estimates from Home Depot and Lowes and also check with Tuffshed. If that does not meed your needs you will need to check with a building contractor. The cost could vary from $10,000 to $20,000 easily depending on how extensive you want to make it. I have seen these outbuildings made that look just like the home. If that is the case it could get quite expensive in Greenwood Village. Good Idea though. I would check with zoning and with your HOA before making any major plans. Good success with your project.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Direct - 303-669-1246
you should definitely check with the zoning department and building department where you live to make certain what you want is allowable where you live. Price might also vary depending upon location - ie close in City location vs mountains vs alley accessible vs carrying everything to the backyard.
I would call TuffShed. They did an outbuilding for my client that was similar. They were the least expensive and did a great job.
Hi Marianne, I went to their website, but cannot get an estimate. I see much smaller sizes, but none 450sf. Do you know how large their's cost, with foundation, permits, electricity, etc? Thanks for your help!
Flag Thu Aug 30, 2012
Having just built an outbuilding the size of a 1-car garage, I can tell you the cost varies widely depending on the contractor. We spent $8,000 and didn't have a skylight or electricity. Plus the concrete pad was already there. We could have gotten it cheaper in a kit, or found a cheaper contractor, but we used the only guy who's never disappointed us in his workmanship.

My advice to you would be to check with the city before you even start getting bids, if you haven't already. I know here in Arvada whether or not we were allowed to build was based on a percentage of un-built-upon lot space.