Michelle Dee…, Renter in Bakersfield, CA

How much would it cost to add a second story loft?

Asked by Michelle Deems, Bakersfield, CA Mon Apr 8, 2013

I'm coming into possession of my brothers house built 1969. It's a cottage style with vaulted ceilings in the living room and kitchen and a very small attic over the two bedrooms. The roof has been leaking for years and has to be replaced.
The house is only 900sqft and I was toying with the idea of building a loft style master bedroom and a second bathroom over the two current bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
Because of extensive water damage and over all neglect I've been told I'll need to have most of the upper part of the house torn out and rebuilt anyhow.

Answers

1
Hi Michelle, I think you have a great idea and since you have to do some extensive work anyway it is the perfect time to do it. I am a real estate agent and would not dream of projecting cost for a project that will need a professional contractor plus plans and some re-engineering. Your best bet would be to talk to a licensed contractor and get at least 3 bids and make sure that they are including all the items you want fixed, added and upgraded. I will give you the name and contact of a local contractor that I have used and recommended with no complaints.....The contractor is ACI general contractor....661-379-7373. The roofer I have used on many projects is Armstrong Roofing...661-319-7566. Both of these companies will come out and give you a quote and tell you what scope of work they can provide to help you accomplish your goal of a home more suited to your needs. If they can't help you, they may be able to direct you to others who can get the job done in a timely manner at a good price. Good luck Jan DeTomaso