Sheri Shimog…, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

How much would it cost approximately to add on to the back of our house?

Asked by Sheri Shimogaki Lemrick, Portland, OR Sun Nov 25, 2012

We want to add on a higher vaulted ceiling living room to the back side of our house (where our deck is currently). It would be approximately 30'x15' and our main goal is to add space and lots of light (so lots of windows). Our galley kitchen would then turn into an island between the old and new addition. We are completely clueless about where to start and how much such an addition would cost us.

Answers

5
Tom Inglesby’s answer
I know a home planner that probably would be less expensive and then have a contractor bid it for you. He designs many additions and is reasonable. email me and I will pass on his name. Tom Inglesby
Thank you all for your answers. I was figuring somewhere in the $50K ballpark. I did a quick search of contractors in the area and it seems that a fair number have architects, designers and engineers as part of the building team. As a homeowner, it is attractive to have a one stop shop. Are these types of companies good to go with? Or should I look at hiring architects and engineers from individual companies?
Sheri, I ran a preliminary rough estimate for a home addition in Portland OR and came up with $47,821.

The cost to a build home addition or a new home can vary considerably depending on design, quality of materials selected, and on actual bids for labor and materials.

You can use the FREE construction cost calculator to obtain your own rough estimate. Play around with the calculator. It is very interesting to find out what design and quality variances do to the total cost to build.

Although the calculator estimates the cost to build a complete house, you can subtract unneeded cost items (appliances, plumbing fixtures, etc.) from the breakdown of total costs. This breakdown will appear after each session with the calculator

Rough estimates are only good for the initial planning and design phase of your home addition project. You can get accurate bids from contractors once you have actual plans.

Read my Cost of Home Additions on byoh.com. There, you'll find a link to the calculator.

Carl Heldmann
Take all the things that Chip said and you can probably figure $250 to $300 a foot for the remodel this is a ball park but probably pretty close. Windows wood or vinyl and be a huge difference in cost and plumbing and electrical and site dig out. This should get you on you discussion path. Are you handy can you do some of the work? This will lower the cost some. Good Luck to you.
Tom Inglesby Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group
hello Sheri, Dont feel bad about being clueless at this stage, there are lots of decisions to be made in order to find out the cost of an addition....

your wishes turned into plans
plans to permits
site access
existing building structure transitions to new addition
the actual building of the addition
(rough framing, hvac, electrical*, plumbing, insulation, roof system, drywall windows and doors)
the interior ( lighting, paint, flooring, cabinets, appliances, etc)

*electrical needs to be assesed to see if there are additional needs

so all in all trying to give you a ball park is very difficult without being onsite and discussing the project more.

you are welcome to email me and set an appointment at: propmaintgencontr@hotmail.com

Chip Brunk
Property Maintenance Gen. Contrs