Pwey, Home Buyer in New Jersey

How much would it cost approx. to build a loft space out of attic space in an 800 square foot cottage?

Asked by Pwey, New Jersey Sat Nov 13, 2010

Answers

5
I would again like to caution about structural considerations. You will need a plan for the building department and although a contractor could likely create such a plan, an inspection by a licensed architect is prudent before taking on this project.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 14, 2010
$35 approx. ppsf for the renovations. if you plan on changing the plumbing / electric, it might cost some more.
In addition to the information below, you will want to check any zoning restrictions for the area. The HOA regulations as well if there is one.
Consider contacting a few local licensed contractors and ask for estimates, then choose the one that best suits your needs--also check to see if any building permits are required...
As a former builder for many years, I know there is no way to answer this question without seeing the home. I don't know how old the home is, whether the structure of the attic will support weight on the ceiling joists. Will the collar ties offer enough height to finish a ceiling up there?

Get a qualified contractor to come out and give you a free assessment of whether it can be done and then, a free estimate of cost to finish it off to your specifications.

(I like Angie's List to help me select a contractor since they give customer ratings of their performance) Or get a referral from someone who had work done. I received additions and new home constructions from referrals from satisfied customers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 13, 2010