cymerax, Home Owner in Riverside, IA

How much will adding a garage increase the value of my home?

Asked by cymerax, Riverside, IA Mon May 26, 2014

I own a small ranch-style home (2br 1bth) valued at around $90k. I plan on finishing the basement, adding an additional bedroom, office, family room and bath, but for now I would like to add a 2-car garage (22'x24') with a loft for storage. I plan on doing most of the work myself (except for the pad and foundation), the total cost I estimate between $7k and $9k. Not sure if it matters but only about 20% of the homes in the immediate area have garages. Thanks in advance for any advice ;?)

Answers

2
cymerax’s answer
Nothing? Even a wild guess would be appreciated, lol. I read somewhere that there's a rule of thumb that banks (or whatever powers that be) won't increase a home's value by more than 10% for any addition or improvement, is this true? If so then that would mean that adding a garage won't add more than $9K to my home's value :?(
Yes you definitely need to add the garage. Most buyers will bypass your home when it comes time for resale if you do not have a garage. The fact that you can do the work yourself helps a lot! You should get all of the $9,000.00 back out of adding the garage. Good luck with the remodel!