Remodel & Renovate in 11720>Question Details

Semantics, Home Owner in 11720

How much value will we add to our 3bdrm, 1bth house by adding a second full bath?

Asked by Semantics, 11720 Sun Dec 19, 2010

We live in Centereach, NY and are adding a second full bath in the finished basement.

Answers

4
I think it is very valuable to add a second full bath, because I currently have customers only look for 2 bathroom or more houses. Thanks.
I would ask an agent in your area to compare the solds in the last 3 months in your area. Ask them to show you the average sale price of a 3 bed 1 bath and the average sale price of a 3 bedroom 2 bath. That will give you the quick answer. I cns tell you from experience adding another bath is never a bad idea.

Tom
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 19, 2010
My suggestion regarding your question would be to ask yourselves how the addition of the bath will be a welcome luxury you have worked hard for. Generally speaking, you will see a 50 to 60% return on investment over a 5 year period. I generally ask my clients what they would generally spend on a really good vacation, if they had the money, and why not spend that same money making their home that much more enjoyable. I hope this helps.
Keep in mind that oftentimes renovations don't get back a full monetary return; when selling, much will depend on comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area; therefore don't worry too much about value, renovate whatever you want, if it makes living in the house will be more enjoyable to you. Before adding the second bath, do be mindful of any necessary/required town permits--if you haven't done so yet, do check with your local building's department for any required paperwork.