Remodel & Renovate in 48009>Question Details

Amanda, Both Buyer and Seller in 48009

How much does it cost to demolish a single story home (1,181 square feet)? The home is brick and located in Birmingham, MI.

Asked by Amanda, 48009 Thu Mar 29, 2012

Answers

8
You should plan on $10,000 plus required permits from the city... say $12,000 total.
Than you very much
Flag Wed Jul 16, 2014
Amanda in Birmingham the cost of permits and the fencing, including silt fence and metal fence, as well
as tree protection, survey costs and utility disconnection fees from the City will cost more than the actual
cost to tear down the house. I pay an average of only $3.50 per square foot to tear a house down and it
can happen in one day. Try and donate and recycle as much as possible-not only is it the right thing to do
but you can also get a tax credit. I have torn down many houses in the City and if you wan to see some of
our work just visit forcebuildingcompany.com
Hi, so $3.50 psf is $3500 for a house of 1,000 sf.? Does this include hauling and disposal? And typically what are the costs of something that might be considered "standard" like the utility disconnections? (water, sewer, gas, electric) Did I miss anything?
Flag Sat Feb 22, 2014
Tear down and removal in Birmingham is approximately $10,000 for this type of home. I just checked with a few clients and builders currently doing projects in Birmingham.

You will also want to look into permits and new connection to water and sewer lines that can be an equal amount. Please let me know if I can assist in any way or refer you to a few great builders building homes in Birmingham.
There are many variables that affect home demolition cost, making it difficult to calculate average demolition costs for any house difficult without an on-site estimate.
•Demolition of 1000 - 1500 sq. ft. home that does NOT need the basement or foundation removed, has easy access for heavy equipment, and doesn't have any environmental issues, could be achieved for around $4000 - $7000 in a low cost area (ie. parts of the Midwest and South). The same project could be $8000 to $15,000 in a higher cost area, where the costs for debris removal and permits are significantly higher
•Complete demolition of a 2000 sq. ft. home including removal of the basement and foundation, with good access for heavy equipment, and no asbestos or lead paint requirements, may cost between $9000 - $22000 depending on local debris removal rates, permit fees, and the demolition contractor selected.
around 10K
call Charles Gleeson of Gleeson Construction in Royal Oak- he recently demo'ed a house for a client and they were very happy
gleeson@gleesonconstructors.com
tell him I sent you
Ada Waechter
Let's see...... does a Realtor know what it cost to demolish a single family home? Probably not, you need to call companies that do this. Try looking in the Yellow Pages, you might not find too many on line.

Get multiple quotes from companies who do this for a living. There are multiple build jobs currently going on in Birmingham, especially south of Lincoln and West of Woodward Ave. I am sure one of the builders can suggest a demo company for you. Best Wishes. Steve
I would think between $20K-$40K. Are you looking to build new? If so, I'd be happy to refer you to an excellent builder in Birmingham and he could give you a much better idea as to the costs of demolition. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Grant Berakovich
Max Broock

grant.berakovich@att.net
(248) 840-7510
What is the basic square footage price for adding on to a house?
Flag Wed May 7, 2014