Davebarke1987, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

How much does it cost in Southern California to remodel a 1200 sq foot house fixer?

Asked by Davebarke1987, Los Angeles, CA Mon May 7, 2012

Answers

3
Dorene Slavitz’s answer
Dear Dave,

Well that depends upon what you are thinking about doing. Remodeling can be very expensive if you are hiring "out" all of the labor and paying retail for the materials. This is the reason programs such as DIY and This Old House have become so popular. It's not unusual for remodels to go over $100,000!

I would recommend that you try to do whatever you can do yourself. Some things don't require as much expertise as others (taking out old carpet, sanding and scraping walls, taking out old plants,cleaning etc). Then take bids from licensed contractors for the remainig work. That's the only way you are going to know for sure, what things will cost.

I would recommend you take a look at http://www.angieslist.com for contractors. Angies is like a referral service from homeowners. The homeowner will post their experience with a tradesperson, and the tradesperson is rated. You cannot pay to get on the list, someone who has used you has to recommend your work.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
1200sf depending on your tastes which given the size would probably not constitute, lot's of granite, marble, slate, high end wood floors, exotic crown molding, wainscot, chandeliers and window coverings should come in realistically around $200 to $300/sf.
It depends if you want diamond floors. To save money on the remodel, I suggest putting DIAMONDS ON THE SOLES OF YOUR SHOES.