Remodel & Renovate in Uptown>Question Details

Goodejc, Other/Just Looking in Uptown, Chicago, IL

How much does a garage roof deck in a chicago city limits single family home add to the value of the home?

Asked by Goodejc, Uptown, Chicago, IL Thu May 21, 2009

Answers

2
I have always found private outside space to be of great value to the Chicago buyers. We really appreciate our time out of doors since it can be so limited, and I have found it to be a good investment. I agree that you rarely get 100% of investment on return, but it can definitely improve the saleability of your home and also increase the value. I am working with buyers now that demand a roof deck. Since our lots are small comparatively, any increase in usable living space (even outdoors) is a plus!!
I would say that in this market probably 65-70% of what you paid for it and maybe even $0 depending on who the buyer is.

In a market like this people are looking for great deals and if you put the work in and add a deck I just don't see it being worth your time from a financial standpoint.

If you want to put the deck in for your own enjoyment they're great and will definitely bring you years of enjoyment. Just don't do it for the ROI.

Scott Newman
Newman Realty