Remodel & Renovate in 80111>Question Details

asundahl, Home Owner in Denver, CO

How much does a basic bathroom with a sink, toilet, and shower cost to add to a basement.?

Asked by asundahl, Denver, CO Thu Aug 30, 2012

I have an unfinished basement and I am looking to finish it. I am very handy and can do most of it myself, but have no idea where to start with plumbing. The basement is rough plumbed, so I am wondering how much it should cost to have a plumber do the rest. I can install the vanity, and toilet, possilby even the shower pan...

Answers

8
It would be best to get a general contractor out to see the property.
Asundahl,

Good question. you said 'basic'. It would be a rough estimate to say $3,000 to $5000. It is good that you have rough-in plumbing. That will help. But sometimes the plumber will need to move the plumbing one way or another to make it work and fit the way you want. This really is a job for a professional as is all of the basement finish. You can make it nice for you' but at resale time the new buyer might prefer a more detailed and professional job. And yes, do get the proper permits. The new rules and city codes could cause you to be fined and tear everything out after all of your hard work.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
I agree with the previous answer, the permit is a must. Also if you are in an area using a septic system you need to check that your BOHA plans is able to handle another bathroom, that is ,approved to do so.
It has been mentioned but let me stress...GET A PERMIT! It will become a nightmare when you want to sell if you failed to do this. Listing Agents, lenders, inspectors, insurance, appraisers, county assessors....it will come back to bite you if you don't.
Good luck and enjoy the day!

John
Asundahl,

I was recently quoted $500 per fixture. I'm sure that this is variable but a good place to start. Just a word of caution when dealing with plumbing DIY stuff. Be careful cause it could really cause a lot of damage to your remodel if it is not done properly.

Good Luck,
Peteolean
You can get an idea of how much to pay for more materials by going to the web sites for Lowes or any hardware outlet.

Tip: Install a dual flush toilet to save on water. You can replace other toilets, too and receive a rebate from the city - up to 3 per household. Here is the link:
http://www.denverwater.org/Conservation/Rebates/2012Resident…

Tip: Make sure you install a fan that will exhaust moisture.

Tip: Get a building permit. Electrical contractors recommend that you hire a contractor to do the work. If you do it yourself, you should have the work inspected.
You could always contact a number of plumbers to give you estimates, alot will do estimates for free.
This varies substantially based on the level of finishes, the contractor, & how much work still needs to be done to the plumbing. I would estimate the work at $8-10K