First Time B…, Home Buyer in Temple City, CA

How much approximately is to change to copper pipes & update the electrical wires?

Asked by First Time Buyter, Temple City, CA Wed Jan 26, 2011

The house is around 1920s & I just wonder how much does it cost to change to copper pipes & update the electrical wires. It has a basement so we could see all the pipes down there.

Answers

4
There's a lot to consider, the size of the house, access, number of fixtures, fixtures require changing? Contractors are hungry right now you can get some fairly good savings.

RESEARCH your contractors! Make sure they have at least 5 years on the license! Have I seen some really bad things by done licensed contractors.

Workers Comp, Liability, referrals!!! A couple of hours can save you months of headaches and loss of $$$$$
Web Reference: http://www.CAcertified.com
It will depend on how much pipping is needed (they may charge by the foot), and the electric will also depend on what is needed. For example, how old is the current electric system? Has any of the house been updated? What kind of electric load are you looking to carry in the house (appliances/central A/C etc.). Does a new line need to be brought in from the main city line?

There are many questions to be asked before an answer can be given. I would recommend getting an estimate from a local electrician or plumber. If you need recommendations, check Angie's list for reviews, ask friends/family that have had similar work done or ask your local realtor®.

Good Luck.
If you need any other help just call or email.
Laura
For a 1500 sq. foot house figure about $6,000-$8,000 for electrical, depending on the access to walls, the number of outlets and the condition of the electrical panel. For plumbing figure about $1,500-$2,000 per bathroom or Kitchen...i.e. 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen = $4,500-$6,000. These are approximates and for permitted work with wall repair.

I have a full construction crew that can do this work.

Richard
No one here will be able to tell you. It won't be cheap or easy. I can say that. You need to contact some contractors and have them work up an estimate.