Dseham, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

How important is a microwave for resale?

Asked by Dseham, Brooklyn, NY Wed Jan 9, 2013

I am renovating my kitchen, which is small but nicely laid out and well proportioned. I have never used a microwave and am hesitant to rearrange the cabinets to install a built-in or drawer model. I don't like the over-range style since I am too short to use them

In terms of resale, would my not having a microwave detract from the apartment

Answers

10
Hi, I've never ever seen or heard of a buyer walking away from a home because it didn't even have a microwave. In fact, I've never had anyone tell me it is something they are looking for when purchasing a home. I guess every agents answers will be different here but I would focus on the condition of the kitchen overall. In speaking with people in general, I'm finding that more and more people are using microwaves less because of the negative waves they emit. As long as the space is functional let the new purchaser or tenant decide if they want to have one on the counter.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2013
Microwaves????? OMG, do people still use them?

I can't imagine this ever affecting the sale of a property. If buyers want a microwave, let them go buy one.
If you plan to stay in your home another 10 years.....don't give the micro-wave anther thought.
HOWEVER....
if you see a resale on the horizon (coming soon)....you most certainly should have one installed. Do not place it above the range....but below eye level and built in.
-
Will it effect resale? Yes..and No. Don't you just LOVE those non-answers?
Some folks will walk away from a four bedroom home because they are looking for a 3 bedroom with an office. If you compel a future buyer to have to 'think' you are compromising your homes re-sell ability and therefore its resale value. Of course the 4th bedroom can become an office just like ANY kitchen can be retrofitted for a micro-wave. it only takes a little thought.
-
If you intend to stay put....design the home for your enjoyment! No compromises. Make it YOUR HOME.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Dear Dseham,

In all honesty, I think you're thinking too much. A microwave will not increase nor decrease the value of your home. Most people buy the table top units anyway. Renovate your home in the best way that make you comfortable. if you have any other questions feel free to call me anytime.

Good Luck!!!

Luke Constantino
Douglas Elliman RE
M: (212) 300-3919
F: (917) 369-2690
lukeconstantino@elliman.com
http://lukeconstantino.com
325 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231
The re-arrangement of your home to buy something impractical for you seems foolish. With that said a small discount on your resale price may be in order if the Buyer or their Agent cites that as a factor.
Hi Dseham,

If your question was relative to you remaining in the home for a period of time your decision should be based upon your specific needs. However, in the event you are anticipating selling your home soon, since so many people have come to rely on microwaves as a kitched convenience, your decision should consider this as a major factor.

The fact that a home does or doesn't have a microwave in the kitchen should not impact your resale value, however it could have a definite impact on its desirability for those that consider this convienence a necessity.

Dear Dseham:

Most buyers do like having the microwave built-in, especially if it is already there. Having said that, it is not something that is a deal breaker either way because if a buyer really wants one they can always install one themselves after the fact as it is really not that difficult or overly expensive.

If you plan on staying for a while (3 years or more), your best bet is to design the kitchen that will make you happiest. An updated kitchen will add value as well regardless if there is a microwave or not. If I can be of further assistance please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
It is nice that you are considering resale value, but like everyone has stated it is not needed. If you do not use it, there is no point to add it. I know many people who do not use their's. Good luck with the renovations!
Dseham A microwave is more of a personal preference if you are renovating a new beautiful kitchen a microwave should not be a problem to others, if so they can always add a counter top microwave. I would not let stop you from doing the kitchen you desire.
Web Reference: http://Www.bergenbasin.com
Dseham If it is just a microwave that would not make or brake a sale. When you look to sell if the person looking to buy feels the need for a microwave then it would not be too hard for them to do then. Let me know what you decide