Remodel & Renovate in 30318>Question Details

Casey, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

How far can I stretch $75,000 on a remodel in Atlanta (Buckhead area)?

Asked by Casey, Atlanta, GA Wed Mar 25, 2009

I live in a 1500 sq ft ranch built in 1950. It has great bones, but is a little small and I'd like to add at least one room (maybe a master suite). In addition, I'd like to do some cosmetic work to the outside to convert it from the tradtional 1950's ranch style to something more appealing, maybe with steeper roof lines. The wiring is outdated and should be replaced, as should most of the plumbing. How far can I stretch $75,000 in Atlanta? I've never done any sort of remodeling so have no idea what these things costs. Would you recommend hiring a design/build firm to do this sort of project?

Answers

5
Hi Casey, have a great ideas for your needs, talk to a super good renovator that works you zip code and knows the market area, you don't want to over price you home for the area, call if you want Shelley Sears Team, Inc 770-777-9000
The 4 most important words in the business of home renovation:

"WHILE WE ARE THERE..."

I would give myself a 20% cushion, maybe 30%, just for contingencies, particularly with framing and
substrate preparation. That's $15,000 minimum.

If your goal is $75,000 max, then follow Hank's advice and get a backward plan in place.

The idea of a stretch will be quite disappointing if you have a house up for resale in a few years, and the buyers who might buy it are saying to themselves, "well, we MUST CHANGE THIS or THAT..."

Do it right the first time, be among the successful.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com/
Casey -

I might suggest a little backward planning - have your ideas professionally drawn up by a draftsman. They can work up a rough idea on materials, you can then give that to a competent contractor and they can work up an estimate. I would also strongly recommend the finished project be appraised (even by a competent agent) to see where you can expect to fall value-wise once the work is done.

Hope this helps -

Hank
I have a remodeler that I use on my own personal home as well as recommend to my clients. His prices are always better than any other contractor and I was completely satisfied with his work. For example, he added a keeping room with fireplace to my hope for little as $13,000. I had other bids as high as $19,000. If you want his info give me a call. good luck.

David Brower, Assistant Manager/Realtor
Crye-Leike Realtors
678-982-9600
david@davidwbrower.com
Web Reference: http://davidwbrower.com
Casey,

Fortunately you can stretch a $75,000 remodel a little farther now than you could a few years ago. Because of the slow down in housing, most contractors are hungry for work. In terms of using a design/build firm, see if you can get some free consults to educate yourself a little and if you feel comfortable with one, get references and examples of what they've done. Drive by them for yourself if you'd like to be extra diligent.

Be sure to use a licensed and insured contractor(s) and be aware of the new Georgia law requiring a licensed contractor for work exceeding $2,500. And be aware that some permitting may be required.

Lastly, get at lease three estimates and bank on your final cost being a bit more than what you expected. There are ALWAYS surprises.

I'm sure others will have other helpful information to add.

Hope this helps.