K. Williams, Home Buyer in Boiling Springs, PA

How expensive is updated the electrical elements of a home?

Asked by K. Williams, Boiling Springs, PA Mon Jan 19, 2009

I'm looking at house that needs to have the electrical work updated on it (still has fuses). Is this a significant undertaking? What would be the cost for a 1,000 sq. ft. home?

Answers

5
You should be able to find a certified electrician in our area who could update an electrical system (including the panel box) for $1200-$1400.
K. In today's work environment you should be able to find an electrician who would be able to install a new electrical box in our area for $1000 -$1200. Of course it all depends on what the current electrical situation is within the home. You most likely would need a new service line. You should contact 3-4 qualified electrical experts to review the current electrical service in the home and ask them for quotes on what work is necessary.
Hi K... Bill & Mim are BOTH right here... you could do just the box and grounding (depending on condition and layout etc) for around $1500 or so. Or you could do the entire house re-wire which could be upwards of $5-7500...
Just call a couple of electricians (this is what I do when I buy property), get quotes and (and here is the important piece) I get their professional opinion from questions I ask and options they give me back...real easy... :)
FYI: Good on you for continuing to look at real estate for your investment!
K.

The cost of converting you electrical system can vary depending on the size of the home scope of work necessary. Our feeling is the work could be done in a range of between $2,500 and $4,500.

We recommend getting several estimates for the work by licensed electricians.

Hello K,
It depends! (Don't you love that answer?-- but it DOES!!) Is the house a rancher or 2 story? on slab or with good crawl space or a basement for access to wall cavities? accessible attic?, etc.
Electrical work is certainly a do-able renovation for most houses in our area, and can be a good fix-up investment. And with the slowdown in consttruction you should be able to find a conractor who will take a look at it in a reasonabale timeframe right now.
You might consider putting an offer on the property contingent on getting a satisfactory estimate for work to be done.-- just a thought! :))
Call me with more particulars, and I will be able to give you more information