Sharon, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

How does one increase the water pressure throughout your home?

Asked by Sharon, San Francisco, CA Thu May 31, 2012

Is there something I can do, or do I have to hire a plumber?

Help the community by answering this question:


There is a water pressure regulator on your main line that is adjustable. However, if you exceed the recommended pressure, you may cause damage, create leaks and even void warranties on your appliances. It's best to get a plumber out and test the current pressure.

It could be as simple as adjusting the regulator or having it replaced if it's malfunctioning. If the pressure is already at the recommended level coming into the property, then you might need to repipe the house.

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
You can put a regulator on one of your lines. My dad remodeled his shower and put in a couple of shower heads. Because he was splitting the water between so many heads he had to put a regulator on the line to increase his water pressure. You could always try doing that.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 3, 2014
You have some good info below. You may also check to see if you have a pressure regulator and what the pressure is set at.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012…

Hi Sharon:

The link aboe is a good article about improving water pressure. Maybe it will help you out. Take a look.

Debbie Good
Team Good & Miller
Dorrington Realty
id 01386548
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
Hi Sharon,
There are only a few things to check. The main water intake into the home may be blocked with dirt. The main intake and the rest of the water pipes may have been installed improperly with pipes that are too small in diameter (unlikely). More likely is that your water heater is old and creating calcium buildup in the tank and at the faucets. If you have filters (aerators) on your faucets you can unscrew them and tap them clean, but if it is the water heater, they'll get clogged again as the calcium makes it way back to the faucets. If you replace the water heater have the filters cleaned while you're at it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
One thing to keep in mind when increasing your water pressure is it may effect your waranties. Some appliances have regulated amounts you are to use. Also most home warranties become void if your water pressure is above 80psi.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
Sometimes there is an easy fix, but sometimes even a plumber can't help. I assume you are on public water and not a well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
HI sharon,

Hire a professional to review your system and tell you your options. It may be simple or a major project.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 31, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer