Remodel & Renovate in Wayne>Question Details

C, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Help! 4 bed/1.5 b house in Radnor: Should I...1. Remove a portion of driveway to create backyard? 2. Remove bedroom to add full bath? Thanks!

Asked by C, Philadelphia, PA Wed Jun 8, 2011

Answers

4
There are many variables to judging what value is added given any project. If you have no backyard, then adding one is a plus, but if you lose parking it could be a minus. In most cases bedrooms are worth more to a potential buyer than a bathroom. If youhave 5 bedrooms and 1 bath, than you have 1 to spare, but going from 3 to 2brs may hurt your value. you have to live there, so the question is will it make your life easier and how long are you going to live there, if you will be there for years, make yourself comfortable
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 8, 2011
Ouch, neither sound like a good choice. If you have a driveway, you can remove the other dirveway to create a backyard. If you do not, keep the driveway and create a small garden patio or somthing. The function of a driveway is much better selling point with some decorated flower pots around the edges. Parking is one of the main things that can make a person really, really mad and they might not even consider your home without two places to park.

You never want to choose between a bedroom and a bathroom. But if you must, the first choice is three bedrooms and one bathroom. Next, would be two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The bedrooms and bathrooms are best at or above ground level.

Talk to a Realtor or a Pro and have them walk through your home. You do not want to make the bedrooms too small or the bathroom too small or change the floor plan and nothing really works. Bathrooms next to the bedrooms and 1/2 bathroom on the main level is nice.
C,

I am about a year and a half behind your post, but was wondering how you made out with your decision. If you are still stuck, shoot me an email, text, or phone call and I'd be more than happy to help.

What I can do for you is:
- First, sit down and understand your short-term and long-term goals.
- Give you a market snapshot of all options.
- Provide not only a real estate agents view on the situation, but also a construction view.
- Lend a hand with any contractor recommendations.

I have worked with a carpenter from age twelve, received my real estate license at age twenty, and have developed real estate since age twenty-one - I love getting involved and helping others!

Keep me posted!

Tyler J. Morrison
Real Estate. Swimming Pools. Investments.
24/7: (484) 533-7111
tmorrison@tylerjmorrison.com

Gunite Specialists, Inc.
GSI Pool Finishes, Inc.
US Spaces, Inc.
Web Reference: http://tylerjmorrison.com
You might not have to loose a full bedroom in order to get an extra bathroom. Depending on the current design you can take a portion of one of the bedrooms or even a linen closet in the hallway. If you have off street parking--go for giving up some driveway for a back yard--a nice backyard entertaining area is a huge plus!