Marney, Other/Just Looking in Arlington, VA

Hello - I am considering a move to the greater Plymouth/Quincy area. I would likely need to have an outbuilding built...

Asked by Marney, Arlington, VA Fri Jun 11, 2010

Hello - I am considering a move to the greater Plymouth/Quincy area. I would likely need to have an outbuilding built (painting and photography studio). Are there zoning restrictions in the towns in those areas that would prevent me from doing that?
Thanks!

Answers

6
WOULD A LARGE GARAGE DO IT FOR YOU? IT HAS A WINDOW. I HAVE A HOUSE WITH 3 GARAGES FOR RENT.

Rosemary02360@hotmail.com
I would recommend finding your self a good Realtor (me perhaps) and beginning your search for a home. There is alot of inventory in this area and perhaps you would be able to find something that suits your needs without having to add an outbuilding.

If you did have to add something, each individual property depending on town, location of existing structures, lot size, etc would have different requirement as far as what you could add.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

Shane Cormier
Century 21 - Tassinari

1.800.656.1342 x1119
Hello Marney- First, Plymouth is pretty far away from Quincy. Ask anyone who drives that everyday :)
Anyhow- each town does have their own bylaws, but there is a standard Mass. State building code that pertains at a minimum.
Usually, if an outbuilding is greater than 120 sf (floor area), then you would need a building permit. In some towns you may not be able to build a 10x12 or larger "shed" within the typical side and rear property line setbacks.
You need to check the setback requirements and also just call and speak with the town's building dept. There is no concrete answer here.
If you need any further help, just let me know. Thanks and good luck,
Ken L.
I'm not sure if this is in your price range, but here is a good example.
Here is a link to the Plymouth building inspector. There is some info on this website or you could call them with specific questions about building and zoning requirements.

http://www.plymouth-ma.gov/Public_Documents/PlymouthMA_IS/index

There might be some homes available for sale that already have a suitable outbuilding. How large of studio do you want? Contact me through my profile and I would be glad to search for you. Good luck!
For accurate information, do contact/visit each of the local building's department/planning and development department, and inquire beforehand--or if you are working with an agent, he/she can help you.