Bella, Home Seller in West Hempstead, NY

Have a mother daughter in west hempstead in poor repair. Should i fix it up before selling,?

Asked by Bella, West Hempstead, NY Mon Jun 22, 2009

Answers

11
Hi Bella..good question..it really depends on how much work the house needs to become marketable..Are you talking painting and cosmetic or are you talking upgrading electric and plumbing??? It really does all depend on the condition of the home..some buyers prefer to purchase a home where they can personalize it to their individual taste..while others just want to walk in and unpack their suitcases..The first step should be to have a Real Estate Proffesional take a look at the home and evaluate it to advise you as the right thing to do..
by the way..I grew up in West Hempstead and I am a member of the West Hempstead Chamber of Commerce..Good luck
Web Reference: http://www.joannpepe.com
If the house is a handy man special, sell it as such.
If the house is in need of of "cosmetic" work and you know how to do it, than go ahead.
Option three is to call me, and I will come to evaluate your house for free.
i personally feel that in this toppsie turvy market, your best bet is to roll up your sleaves and start painting. a clean paint job is the most economical way to put some life in an outdate house.
you can spend the next 6 month fixing everything in the house, only to find a buyer that doesnt like your taste and starts deducting $ signs in their mind. this also depends on the equity you have in the house. if there is a lot of equity to play with, then some work can be done in a economical way, that will improve the houses value.
a lot of people are doing the improvment thing only to find out that they never net any profit from that.
a proper cost/profit analysis should be done to see in your market area, what homes are selling for in what condition.
if you need any info on a cost/rprofit analysis you can reach me via email or cell phone:
good luck in your journey
Kent Miller
kmiller@laffey.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2009
Fixing up a house always will help you get more for the house as well as increase the interest in the house. Using marketing keywords such as new and updated always help catch the attention of buyers. If interested, I as well can help you market and sell your property. I am a real estate agent who works with my mother as a mother daughter team. We are based in Wantagh yet my mother has dealt with homes in West Hempstead. Feel free to give either of us a call, Brittany Dean 516-376-2580 and Lucie Dean 516-353-9965 if you would like to receive our services!

Thanks a bunch for your time
Dear Bella,
New Kitchens, baths and basements are the big ticket remodeling jobs that give you the most return, however you will never see 100% of your investment returned. That kind of an improvement should be for the homeowner's enjoyment as your taste in remodeling won't necessarily appeal to all buyers. It will help the house sell faster however. Repairing cracks, A fresh coat of paint, new hardware on cabinets and doors, newly finished flooring can spruce up a house for minimal cost..
I am a licensed Property Staging Consultant and a broker with Prudential Douglas Elliman. West Hempstead is our immediate marketplace. I'd be happy to assess your needs for properly staging your house for selling purposes. The price of staging a home is a lot less than your first price reduction. A staged home also sells faster and for more money. Call me if you'd like some help from my team at Prudential to get the house sold.

Lynn Pisani GRI, CBR, PSC
Lic. Associate Broker
Lic. Property Staging Consultant
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
http://www.lynn.pisani@elliman.com
http://www.lynnpisani.listingbook.com
Bella ,
As most of my colleagues have mentioned , some work probably should be done . When you sell
a home as a regular home sale , You are warrantying that the roof doesnt leak , that the heating works , and also
that the plumbing is free of leaks . If any of these need fixing to bring them up to standard , then by all means do it .
If you dont , and you want to sell the property "as-is" you will take a large hit on the price and also may make the property unmortgageable for a buyer . This will reduce the number of potential buyers to those who buy cash -and believe me , there are not many of those around !
I live and work locally to you , so if you need any more advice please call me on my cell or e-mail me
Terence Cavill
516-205-3224
Bella
With out seeing what repairs are needed we will not be able to tell you much.
As an agent I, would recommend for you to make all necessary repairs to sell fast and get
the price you will be asking for. If you have additional questions, please direct them
to me or need an agent feel free to call.
My Direct # 347-813-1290.
Here is my website http://fajardodelacruz.realtors.officelive.com
or my e-mail delacruz.fajardo3@gmail.com
Hope to hear from you soon.
What exactly is poor repair, do you have a leaky roof or pipes, is the kitchen and or bathroom outdated, do you have small or major repairs that need to be done, etc. Not knowing exactly what that statement actually means tough question to answer. You can start by getting rid of all clutter, have the house super neat and clean and don't forget the exterior for curb appeal. If you need assistance feel free to call or e-mail.

Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com
My suggestion would be to write a list and see what repairs are needed. Once you have the list estimated the cost for each and then tries to see if you did not do the repair would it be a major detriment to the sale. For example if the roof was leaking it should be fixed because most buyers would be either turned off by the leak or want a credit which exceeds the cost. If you would like I could take a look and recommend what repairs you might want to do. I can be reached at 516-872-3000 or by email at mc@qualityhomeshoppe.com
Good Morning Bella,

In general, I usually recommend repairs that can be done inexpensively by you or someone else. This would also include a good cleaning of the home as well as cleaning up the clutter and making the home as pleasing to the eye as possible. This might include putting away some books & papers, fixing a leaky faucet, rehanging a cabinet door, cleaning up the front and back lawns or perhaps a quick paint job.

That being said, every situation is different - I haven't seen your home so I couldn't give you a list of what you could or should do to sell your home as quickly as possible and for the most money in today's market. Since the housing market is continuing to decline, and that decline has been forecasted to continue at an approximate rate of 1% per month for the next year, once you have decided to sell, putting it on the market and selling quickly is the same as saving money so you wouldn't want to take too long to fix up the home.

Why don't you give me a call - I work in your neighborhood - and I can take a look at your home and give you a better idea of what repairs, if any, might make the sale of your house easier. You can reach me directly by phone at (516)410-3594 or by email at Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.com.

In the meantime, please visit my website at http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com where you can find FREE Seller Reports (some of which address this topic), FREE Buyer Reports (to assist you in finding a new home), FREE School and Neighborhood Reports, my Monthly Newsletter and other valuable real estate information.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon, meeting you and seeing your home!

Regards and Have a Great Day,
Arlynn

Arlynn B. Palmer
Licensed Associate Broker, REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Claire Sobel
(516)410-3594
Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.com
http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com
Web Reference: http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com
Bella,

It's all relative, to how bad or good the condition of the is.......

Without seeing the home....our recommendation is for you to take care of what you can that involves a minimal expence.....things that you can do or you can hire out to be done inexpensively.

Cleaning out, organizing, gardening, painting inside and out(if necessary), carpet cleaning, etc. Investing a little can bring great benefits. On the other hand, major repairs may be beneficial in selling the property but may not bring the cash rewards. Don't invest any cash that you feel you won't be able to recover from the sale of the home. Think about minimizing the cost and maximizing the effect.

The Eckler Team