Question Details

AC, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

Has anyone tried the bamboo floors from lumber liquidators? I wanted to try Morning Star or Supreme Bamboo.

Asked by AC, Hoboken, NJ Thu Aug 7, 2008

But I heard that bamboo contains an adhesive which may have high levels of formaldehyde which can be an irritant especially for people with allergies or even cause cancer. Has anyone had experience with Morning Star or Supreme Bamboo from lumber liquidators?

Answers

52
betdan12’s answer
Hello!
I am glad I found this website because I was thinking of buying Morningstar Bamboo Flooring from LL. Now I don't know what to buy. I live in the Lakewood area (CA). When we bought the house, it already had bamboo flooring in the front part of the house. I want to continue it throughout the house. Does anyone know of a reputable bamboo flooring store in the Long Beach/Orange County area (CA) area?
Much appreciated
After all the good things the DIY and Home Improvement TV shows have been saying about bamboo, we purchased (from Lumber Liquidators in San Antonio, TX) the silver strand Morning Star Bamboo for two offices in my home to replace the Pergo laminate we had for 13 years (Pergo had NO issues). We added a subfloor of 3/4 good plywood (not particle or cheap-grade ply). Ply was glued and "shot" w/nails into the concrete. Bamboo was acclimated in my home for several weeks and then installed using the glue down method. Space was left around the perimeter for breathing of the materials.
About 3 months after professional install, one area has lifted off the sub floor (buckling), the rest of the floor looks to be lifting/swelling at the joints (cupping). I can hear "hollow" pockets in other areas. I'm so perplexed how this material can get such RAVE reviews but then have SO many issues.
I'm not going to bother contacting lumber liquidators because they will only blame the installer. I witnessed personally the entire process and materials and method used. It was the approved standard.

For those reading considering bamboo, I'm not sure if its the brand (was not cheapest at $5+ per sq ft) or the humidity in San Antonio (we have a lot) but I'd make sure to do intensive and repeated moisture testing of the air (RH) and subfloor before installing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 26, 2014
We have bamboo flooring from Lumber Liquidators throughout our entire house, and just put it into our master bedroom also. After over 4 years with 4 children, we still love these beautiful floors! Yes, it will scratch and dent - it is WOOD, after all. ALL wood floors scratch and dent, that is the nature of the material. If you have dogs, or want a totally non-scratchable surface, you need laminate or ceramic tile. Wood floors are not for you. We direct-glued the bamboo flooring to our existing concrete slab-on-grade and have had NO problem with warping, buckling, or any of the issues mentioned here. I would buy this all over again - it is a great value!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 1, 2014
Exactly-- all types of wood are prone to wear over time, including bamboo. There aren't very many floors that can withstand kids and dogs, though, and most of them aren't high value. If you want something that will give you the most bang for your buck, bamboo sounds like a smart move. | http://www.simplyoregon.com.au
Flag Tue Dec 16, 2014
I am thoroughly disappointed with my Morning Star bamboo flooring. Within 2 days of installation, it began to buckle -- now all 500 sq. ft. has buckled and no one is taking responsibility for it. It was installed over a NEW, 4-month cured slab with in-floor heating. The constant humidity of the area is 35% -- I am being told there is so much moisture coming from somewhere that it has ruined my boards. This floor was installed in a new addition: there are no leaky pipes, no humidity issues ... and the weather has been so dry from lack of rain and snow, there is no moisture to filter in. The new boards sat for almost three weeks in the dwelling before being installed. The question remains: Why did my boards warp so quickly and make it impossible to walk on the floor???? Research is showing me this is a cheap product that, in all likelihood, came with a high moisture level. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated ... most of all, direct contact with Morning Star would be great!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 25, 2013
It is not a atmosphere humidity issue causing your problems. The flooding industry (both commercial and residential) has been going through some huge issues with flooring issues and adhesives. The humidity in the concrete, especially it being a new slab, has caused your problem. Did you install a moisture retarded over the concrete prior to installation?
Flag Sun Feb 21, 2016
I had Morning Star bamboo installed in my whole house and it was lovely for 2 months. Since then I have had separations and gaps in many of the boards and shrinking around the perimeter. Now formaldehyde! I am ready to sue LL and rip the whole floor out. Does anyone know where the floor can be tested for formaldehyde?
Flag Tue Mar 3, 2015
I had the exact same problem as you. I was told by the sales person that it would be great on a cement slab. Within 3 to 4 months Joints separated, floor cupped and in certain areas discolored, got very dark. When I called lumber liq. they said it shouldn't have been installed on a slab because of the moisture. They took no responsibility and blamed it on the installer. And now I'm concerned about the amount of formaldehyde it contains.
Flag Sun Mar 1, 2015
The directions specifically say to not use in floor .....
Flag Sun Feb 1, 2015
We are investigating defects associated with Morning Star Bamboo flooring. If you are interested in discussing remedies that may be available to you, please call 855-505-5342. Thanks!
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
I laid my floor in 2002.I had an old terazzo floor 1958, over a concrete slab and the moisture content was still on the borderline to do glue down. So we did floating. Whoever laid your flooring should have done a moisture test of the slab. I was putting down long strip and heard there were problems. I would only recommend doing a floating bamboo floor anyway. I talked to a knowledgable flooring person and they said to put roofing paper down first first, then plastic, then foam under the flooring. I have had it 12 years now without any warping.
Flag Mon Mar 10, 2014
crabbyburton, yours is a common problem with this Lumber Liquidators supplied and warranted floor. Lumber Liquidators will claim that the problem is somehow due to your incorrect installation or improper cleaning method and deny your claim. Lumber Liquidators Inc. seem to be the bottom feeders of the flooring industry. All I can say is "join the club". Be sure to pass along your experience with LLI at every opportunity. Perhaps if enough consumers voice thier problems with LLI, these vermin will be exposed for what they are.
Flag Wed Feb 5, 2014
I am having the same problem! House is bone dry- yet after 6 months our floor looks awful, the edges are cupping and the boards are the finish is bubbling and cracking. Looks awful!! I have filed a warranty claim but haven't heard back-
Flag Fri Nov 29, 2013
Vcharabowski,
My name is Jessica, and I am a legal investigator. I am looking into consumer complaints regarding Lumber Liquidators’ bamboo flooring, and I would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experiences. Please contact me by email at batzainv@gmail.com or call me at 800-901-5119 at your convenience. Thank you.
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013
After a lengthy investigation, today I was informed Morning Star is stating their bamboo flooring is NOT meant to be installed over radiant heat, and when it is, the warranty is voided. When I purchased my bamboo flooring, I specifically asked about the radiant heating at least three times, and in all my conversations with the Customer Care line and HSS I was very clear clear about the in-floor heating. It appears Morning Star has re-written their warranty and is trying to convince people the language was there all along. WRONG!!!
Flag Mon Mar 25, 2013
If you are interested in hearing about customers who have used bamboo floors, I would encource you to visit the review section of the flooring type on lumberliquidators.com. I actually purcahsed from them 2 weeks ago and I am getting ready to install about 650 sqt of flooring. The total cost (including hte 15lb mosture barrier was 1400.00. A very reasonable price (1.99 per sq ft) in my opinion. They loaded all the wood into my cargo van (at the store in St. Louis, MO) but I did help them. Of the boxes I opened, all the wood seems to be in very good shape.

I have included the link below for the type of flooring I purchased. Follow the link and towards the bottom of the page, you'll see the tabs that say specifications, accessories, and "review"s. The reviews tab gives you all the feedback from people who have purchased and some people posted before and after pictures so you can see how the wood looks when it's laid down. This is actually how I made my decision to purchase the type of flooring I want.

Hope this answer helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 11, 2009
Carolyn, Home Owner, Seattle
Unfortunately, I also purchased Morning Star Bamboo Strand engineered flooring. I have the buckling and cracking problem as well. It started a couple of months after installation. I thought it was possibly due to a stretch of hot weather here. However, it never flattened out when the temp dropped. In addition, LL has been very uncooperative. Now that I've read all these similar complaints I will pursue legal action.
Flag Sun Nov 8, 2015
We are in the process of tearing out 1700 sq ft of the Morningstar 5/8 Carbonized Strand, all put in according to the process, LL won't give us the time of day. So unhappy with the entire thing. Big costly aggravating mistake.
Flag Sun Aug 16, 2015
Are you really naive enough not to realize that these are only the reviews that LL have chosen to post on their own website?? Really??
Flag Sat Jun 13, 2015
Good luck, they may be great in loading, but the warranty might as well be written with disappearing ink.
Flag Wed May 27, 2015
Do not purchase from Lumber liquidators. They do not stand by their product. Buy from a local store in your area. You may spend a little more, but wont have any regrets.
Flag Wed Apr 29, 2015
Here is a follow up regarding the product reviews listed on the LLI site. After posting my experience with LLI on several independent sites, one post finally received a response from a representative of Lumber Liquidators. A portion of the representatives response was:
"Any constructive review related to a product is listed on our site. Reviews that don't get approved are ones which list issues unrelated to the actual product...".
Really?? I have attempted to post a review on the LLI site several times specifically for the Morning Star 10023754 ½“x5” Clic Strand Carbonized Bamboo product, but I guess none have ever been deemed "constructive" by Lumber Liquidators. It is no wonder that the products on the LLI site seem to have so many satisfied customers. I must conclude that the positive reviews are posted because they are "constructive" and the negative reviews are rejected by LLI because they are not "constructive".
I sure hope that the marketing practices of Lumber Liquidators catches up with them soon. In the meantime, many more unsuspecting customers will be duped by Lumber Liquidators and regret they depended on what appears to be an unbiased review on their website.
Flag Tue Feb 25, 2014
Corey, the reviews on the LLI site are posted only if LLI approves them. Have the courage to believe the truth. LLI should be avoided unless you have a sadistic desire to be taken advantage of.
Flag Fri Feb 7, 2014
My floor is in for 1 1/2 years and it is cracking, splitting, warping and shrinking –( all within the 30 year warranty period). the company reportedly claims that these problems are due to faulty installation and refuses to compensate AS THEY HAVE TO MANY, MANY OF the affected customers.
Can bamboo flooring cause coughing, sore throats, sinus infections, had our floors but down in November and in January started getting sick and not well yet.
Have your floor checked for formaldehyde.
Flag Mon Feb 22, 2016
Can anyone on here specify model numbers, installation methods and glue product used? Otherwise you are wasting your time trying to inform others.
No one mentions when they are experiencing buckling whether they bought the 3/8th inch bamboo strand or the 1/2" strand! Then there are the people who are happy with theirs and they don't say which one they bought either. Could it be the thinner 3/8th inch is the one that buckles and the 1/2" is better? Really people that should have been part of your explanation!
I find it amazing how people can have such drastically different results. I purchase 1800SQ of Morning Star Viper Strand from LL in 2011. It acclimated for about 3 months (opened wrapping and boxes) due to it being on sale before the project was done. I purchased a moisture meter and barometer to keep tract of humidity (Buffalo NY area). Once the boards\room was in the recommend range it was installed over the course of about a month. I remember waiting a few weeks for the humidity to be in the recommended range.

I used tar paper (roofing paper) for a vapor barrier over the 3/4 plywood that the carpet had been striped from. I also purchased the proper nail gun as the manufacture recommend smaller cleats than your average flooring nailer could handle. 4 years later we sold the house and didn't have any issue at all...no expanding\buckling..no shirking...no splintering. It was SUPER durable...in fact that's what brought me here.

We had a house built and paid 15k ($11 Sq Ft) to have hardwoods installed through out and they are terrible. Less than a year they are scratch..dented ..beat to death. While the MorninStar Viper held up soooo much better in those 4 years than less than one for the new floors. I'm considering ripping out the 'new' stuff and replacing them with the same we installed in our old house. But reading reviews here has me thinking otherwise. I'm wondering if something has changed with the quality of Morning Star @ LL. I gotta say I'm a little scared to do it now
Rann48, our 1800SF main floor is all Morning Star 1/2-inch strand bamboo, bought and installed with tar paper over 1/2 or 3/4inch plywood in early 2014 by the guy who built the house. We live in the dry west in Montana. Ours has shrunk a little in some areas, but not drastically (we have weeks of only 5-10% humidity). Where the builder failed to caulk part of a shower, we experience what happens to bamboo with moisture. It cupped and darkened, but it has laid back down smooth after a few dry months. The seams are a little wider where the water damage was. We have been very happy with durability (kids and a puppy), but also extra careful to not scratch... drymop or vacuum weekly for dust, felt pads under all furniture, and vinegar and water wash every 1-2 weeks. I wonder about formaldehyde, but have yet to get it tested. This July we will have lived on the floors for 2 years. I like the bamboo almost as well as our old house's douglas fir pine floors, the upkeep is a pain with bamboo.
Flag Wed Apr 13, 2016
I am scared. We spent our only retirement money on 2400 SF of Morning Star bamboo and we don't even have it installed yet because we don't have the money yet. Now, after reading all of this, I am really afraid. Are there ANY good reviews? Has the product improved at all since the lawsuit???
Flag Fri Mar 4, 2016
Interesting LL respond but no one can respond back. See end of thread. PEOPLE JUST SUE THEM< It is the only way! " Like Ford covers scratches on your car." Bad analogy as an expensive floor that is the hardest wood, should not look like crap after days of installation. OWN IT LL!!!! Your product is crap and your warranty does not cover your false claims and incompetence or misguidance in training your sales people. Integrity is how people receive return biz. .
Yes bought some four months ago they are now pulled up in three month buckled to wear we couldn't open doors. they will not do good on it blames installer called inspector, Inspector tell us they should have kept in ware house longer to dry . But turns around say something else to lumber liq,
This company has a class action suit on them . Five thousand down the drain for us,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2015
I am also looking for wood flooring (bamboo) and did go to LL yesterday and found one that I liked by Morning Star. What bothers me more, is last night I was reading Sierra Mag (Sep/Oct 2015) issue and it had an article on LL. Lo and behold, it seems they were uncovered by an international nonprofit group to be cutting down virgin trees from the world's last amur tiger habitat in Russia and turning them into floorboards for LL. There is a lot of illegal logging of trees and one of the worst culprits is LL for purchasing this wood. Tks to the undercover environmentalists penetrating its shady supply chain, they are now facing charges under the Lacey Act. The agency released a 2013 report based on its research into LL and the Russian-Chinese lumber pipeline. Pls read this article for yourself and then decide where you would purchase your hardwood. I already have and it won't be from LL. Pls do research on other flooring as well since there are a lot of illegal tradings of wood with absolutely no regulations on safety. And formaldehyde, well that is a whole other story, carpets, paddings, dog food, flooring, etc, etc, etc. the list goes on and on. Thank God for the computer!
Morning Star is what I bought loved it now in four months gone lifted curled every board 5000 out the door. They will not pay for it.
Flag Sun Sep 6, 2015
If it's any consolation to any of you, we purchased some stranded bamboo flooring from Floors &Decor in Dallas. We also have areas of floor buckled up several inches in different areas of the floor. The finish started to bubble after about 6 months. A sticky, resinous fluid which smelled like bamboo was oozing up. The buckling started a few months after that. It was glued down with Roberts urethane flooring glue, which cost about $55 per gallon. The retailer says the glue is at fault, not their Chinese manufactured product. I doubt lumber liquidators is the only seller of this sorry material
Jim Dallas, TX
Our Morningstar has been down for a little over a year. Our problems have begun in the past 6 months.Ours has "blisters" that are fluid filled. When you accidentally step on one, they burst and a sticky stinky substance comes out. It also has cracks in the top layer in some places and cupping. We have hygrometers in every room and the humidity has always been within the recommended range. Very disappointed.
Fran Sullivan, Lake Worth,FL.
Flag Wed Sep 2, 2015
So far I love it. We just put it down a couple of months ago. Have started to notice so cracks in the middle of it. Not sure why. Was told it had little formaldehyde in it, that every floors has some. Both my husband and I have started to have red eyes in the last month. And I have an Sinus Infection now. Now we have noticed our puppy has a sore place on his neck, getting worried now.
I put down morning star bamboo about 12 years age. No problems so far. We did have a smell after initially opening the packages, but it went away within a few days. I expect that any lingering formaldehyde issues would not show up on testing, but would like to test anyway.
We installed LL carbonized strand bamboo about two years ago on the entire first floor of our home. We Installed it on OSB floor after removing carpet, but first laying down the best grade of plastic underlay taped at all seams. Did not have any fumes or odor during the install which required cutting since all planks are 6 ft in length. Have not had any odor, buckling or separation.
An occasional splinter catches the dust pad when cleaning but not excessive. I can honestly say that my house being new 5 years ago, there were heavy chemical smells from the carpet and paint for quite awhile. We know that "new house" smell.
We had two rooms done with Morningstar Forbidden City bamboo, using Lumber Liquidaors' installers. Quality-wise, there have been no problems aside from one t-board cracking. It is not clear yet whether the bamboo flooring from China also has the high amounts of formaldehyde cited in the 60 Minutes broadcast. If this flooring proves to be included, we plan to acquire an air testing kit.

We hope it isn't so, we like the floors.
Has anyone tested their Strand bamboo flooring for formaldehyde levels? I cannot get an answer anywhere and many others have also asked. Need to know if we should finish installing or throw it out! Thanks.
We had bamboo installed in November. My kids have had a cough since December. I'm starting to think it's related to our flooring. I guess it's time we get it tested. If that's what is causing the coughs for my kids, you can believe it's going to be ripped out ASAP!
Flag Tue Apr 28, 2015
Where can one get the formaldehyde tested in the home?
Flag Sun Mar 29, 2015
Yes, we just had tested, and very high levels. We have had major health issues. We are ripping all of Pearl City Morning Star Bamboo out and replacing!
Flag Thu Mar 19, 2015
! We had a 1000 feet of the Peking Antique installed in our home by a professional installer and he's been out twice to fix issues with it. Besides gapping, the floor actually pulled away from the wall over an inch in certain areas. Our installer said it's pure junk and he'll never touch it again. My complaints to Lumber Liquidators are met with generic responses that offer no real solutions. I now filed a dispute through our credit card and will fight them to the end. An unscrupulous company like theirs deserves to be out of business and I hope to see them sink under the weight of class action lawsuits. It also makes me sick to see the videos they posted touting the morals of their company and the safety of their products. If you watch a documentary on Enron or other fallen companies, you see how they lied through their teeth also right up to the end.

PS, LLI will swear up and down you have moisture issues...but we have a built in humidifier and an air exchanger. I actually cranked up the humidifier to the point our windows were "sweating" in an attempt to counteract the problem. You also need to have transition pieces "t-molds" every 25-30 feet and in every doorway between rooms. They don't volunteer this info and we also added 5 t-molds in an attempt to fix our floor.
This is exactly what has happened with my flooring and it continues to get worse...
I intend to get my flooring tested and pursue all avenue of recovery, however, it seems this is highly unlikely based on my research thus far.....
Flag Fri Jan 15, 2016
AJK, We are are investigating defects associated wit the Peking Antique flooring. If you are interested in discussing remedies that may be available to you, please call 855-505-5342. Thanks!
Flag Sun Mar 29, 2015
My bamboo floors are shrinking and gapping after only a month after installation. They are the Morningstar Bamboo and they simply suck. Now with the news of Formaldehyde levels, I am definitely going to pursue a class action law suit against LL for the crappy and dangerous quality they sell. Does anyone know anything about a class action suit in the state of Virginia yet?
I have the same issue with my morningstar bamboo and I live in VA. Have you contacted LL?
Flag Sun Apr 12, 2015
Go to this site: http://fwww.gcmonitor.org%2f/RK=0/RS=CZYz4Ah6yrAynKAgaY3d5hWEOxk-" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTceJnlfhUhJ8AtAQnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzcWkwNG1lBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwM18x/RV=2/RE=1425606119/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2 http://fwww.gcmonitor.org%2f/RK=0/RS=CZYz4Ah6yrAynKAgaY3d5hWEOxk-
Do you have the stand or laminate? I have strand and will be getting it tested soon. Let me know how it goes for you.
Flag Thu Mar 5, 2015
Our bamboo flooring is shrinking. All along the walls it has separated and there is a 3/4 gap right in the middle of the room. I am so disappointed! We have not talked to Lumber Liq yet. I keep telling my husband it won't do any good.
Tonya, run from any Lumber Liquidators products and return that bamboo ASAP! We had a 1000 feet of the Peking Antique installed in our home by a professional installer and he's been out twice to fix issues with it. Besides gapping, the floor actually pulled away from the wall over an inch in certain areas. Our installer said it's pure junk and he'll never touch it again. My complaints to Lumber Liquidators are met with generic responses that offer no real solutions. I now filed a dispute through our credit card and will fight them to the end. An unscrupulous company like theirs deserves to be out of business and I hope to see them sink under the weight of class action lawsuits. It also makes me sick to see the videos they posted touting the morals of their company and the safety of their products. If you watch a documentary on Enron or other fallen companies, you see how they lied through their teeth also right up to the end.
Flag Thu Mar 5, 2015
We purchased 17 boxes of the Carbonized Horizontal Bamboo and have yet to install it. Any suggestions? We are now thinking of trying to return it.
Flag Tue Mar 3, 2015
I installed 1000 sq ft of solid bamboo from them 2 years ago with bad results and no remedy offered. It was the floating variety and it expands and shrinks excessively, to the point where it buckles in summer and leaves gaps by the walls in winter. Lum. Liq. would do nothing despite very vocal complaints.

I finally solved the problem by installing 2" wide metal strips at transition points on the floor which was a good solution since it gave the floor a stylish industrial look.

I had also done my livingroom in Brazilian Cherry from them. I found the boards lacked quality control on width and varied excessive because they probably came from trees other than cherry.

I'd avoid Lumber Liquidators.
I purchased this flooring and installed it myself over moisture and sound barrier. I let it acclimate for a week or so. I live on the coast in a very humid climate although we run AC's 24/7. We have had no shrikage or buckling problems and it has been down for several years. No real scratchs out of the ordinary or any greater that solid oak flooring. Just saw the 60 minutes about the formaldehyde so i am going to have the air quality tested if I can. We commonly use lumber in texas for building outdoor structures that is illegal in the state of california. California has the strictest rules for many products than any other state. The gas the other 49 states uses is likely not legal in California so i never pay any attention to california standards.
You don’t normally expect your floors to be slowly poisoning you, but that’s exactly what could happen if you’ve bought Lumber Liquidators wood flooring, according to a class action lawsuit filed last week. The suit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, alleges that the Chinese-made flooring contains dangerous levels of formaldehyde – and, to make things worse, the wood might be sourced from endangered habitats in Russia.
I heard it was on the Laminates only also?
Flag Mon Mar 2, 2015
was this just on the laminate or all of their flooring?
Flag Sun Mar 1, 2015
Lumber Liquidators are the bottom feeders of retail flooring. And yes, there are high levels of formaldehyde in their bamboo flooring. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen that can cause Cancer. Two accredited laboratories tested the Morning Star Bamboo and found it to be 3.5 times over the legal limit. Just think about your children crawling on this floor! They don't mark it on the boxes so there is no way to know and of course they don't tell you because no one would buy this garbage. Not only is the flooring loaded with formaldehyde but it shrinks and gaps excessively. Believe me....these people that have posted complaints aren't lying! Don't believe any bull crap from Lumber Liquidators. They can respond all they want.......they lie through their teeth. And if you have a problem.....you won't get any help from them. And the 30 year warranty......that's to protect them....NOT YOU! People who bought this floor have lost thousands of dollars. And those inspectors they send out.....they are paid by LL. They are paid to find fault with you or the installer. And believe me they will. Just read all the complaints!
any luck finding information on Morning Start Bamboo and formaldehyde issue? you mention 2 accredited lab, who were they and where are the results published?
Flag Wed May 20, 2015
Flag Wed May 20, 2015
Where can I find the information about the accredited laboratories that tested Morning Star bamboo? We bought some, but don't want to be poisoned. Any information helpful.
Flag Mon Mar 2, 2015
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
Check to see if it is young mamboo. I bought Bamboo floors from lumbar liquidators and was so happy with the way it turned out. Two years later with a dog and the floors were shot. I read up on it and the manufacturer says let it harden for 2 years. Now they need refinishing
We bought bamboo flooring because we were told that it was harder than other wood choices, that it would be highly resistant to dog nails, for instance (at that point, we had 3 dogs).
Not true. This flooring has only been in place four years now and it looks like it was installed in 1980! I would not recommend bamboo floors -- except for their beauty. Good luck.
Interesting that you do not mention whether you have stranded bamboo or horizontal/vertical bamboo. Stranded is the hard flooring; the others are relatively soft. If you bought the soft stuff. you should not be complaining.
Flag Sat Mar 19, 2016
In mid December, 2013 we had Morning Star 1 x 5 Strand Antique bamboo flooring installed by a reputable, experienced contractor in a 25 x 25 room, over Bella Premium Underlayment. The floor is particle board with a moisture reading of 5%, over a full, heated and cooled basement. The house is 4 years old. The floor looked gorgeous for the family Christmas gathering.

By mid February, a gap began forming at a kitchen island and ran to the opposite wall, about 11 feet. It rapidly grew to a gap 5/8ths of an inch wide, running the full length of the seam, and jumped laterally at an end joint to the next seam over. A zig zag gap.

There are now, around the perimeter of the room, at least 12 smaller gaps, some as wide as 1/4 inch and four foot long.

In isolated cases, the flooring has shrank lengthwise, leaving gaps up to 1/8th inch at an end joint.

Also,, the surface of some of the planks have seemed to have "crinkled" and are no longer smooth. Cupping does not appear to be a problem.

After a long period (basically waiting on LL) and submitting a questionnaire and photos twice, I received a form letter this past Saturday (21 June 2014) from the "Customer Care Review Team" essentially giving all the reasons for flooring problems and any problems had to be someone's fault other than LL. The letter was not even signed.

It did say that If I want to refute their decision, I could have the floor inspected by a certified inspector (which they gave a couple of names - sounds chummy) at my expense and they would reconsider my claim. One inspector quoted a $450 charge and I have not heard back from the other one yet.

We are disappointed and upset with the flooring, but are very disappointed and aggravated about the total lack of response and effort on the part of Lumber Liquidators. My teeth are clinched as I write this.
I am with you. My experience with this material and Lumber Liquidators is the same as yours. This Morningstar strand bamboo material looked good but scratched easily. It then shrink so much that I had multiple areas where the material just unlocks and now I can even see the underlayment between the planks. the gaps are about 1/2 inch and it hurts to walk on this floor barefoot. Filing a complaint with LL got me nowhere. They were extremely unprofessional.
Flag Sat Feb 21, 2015
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
I purchased morning star bamboo from LL also. I had it installed about 5 months ago and it buckled right up the middle all the way across the room. I thought it was a poor installation but when we looked closer, there was plenty of room for the bamboo to breathe and expand. There are also spots on the floor that are peeling off and there is some sort of sticky substance being emitted from the floor. I have been waiting about 3 months for them to fix it. I have had most of the conversations with the contractor and LL says they will fix it but now they are asking for humidity readings, etc. The readings look fine so and I believe they are just delaying things.
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as-seen-on/258370621.html

The above address is to a video regarding Morning Star Bamboo. I've had this installed in my house and I'm having the same problems. The product is defective! It shrinks, separates, and the clicking magnesium does not hold which causes the boards to separate and cannot be fixed unless the boards are removed. Not to mention the formaldehyde that is used in the adhesive which is 4 times the level and a carcinogen that can cause cancer. My husband and I both have been experiencing sore throats and coughing since this floor has been installed. I have done everything to the book as far as humidifiers, taking care of the product (never thought I would have to babysit my floor) and I still have separations and boards that have un-clicked throughout the rooms where it was installed. It looks horrible and is an embarrassment.

I don't reccomend anyone buying this product.
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
We purchased our bamboo floor from lumber liquidators in Lombard Il. I had the floor installed by a contractor he just came out to look at my floor and said it is all buckled and we have a lot of gaps on the floor and we are on a concrete slab, followed the instruction that were given on tacking care of it I have just called the customer care center and we are starting our complaint.
Did you guys do a moisture test? My "third party" flooring inspector just left, and from what he kept saying, I think they are going to deny my claim because of improper install. His moisture meter read outside the recommended range (I looked) for the ratio at the time of install of 2%. My installer has had to return to at least 10 job sites to fix this exact issue.
Flag Thu May 22, 2014
I was the store manager for the Phoenix ,AZ stores. And i was with Lumber Liquidators since they only had like 6 stores nation wide. I started with them in California and made the move to Phoenix to open another store and I stayed in the Phoenix Store. Lumber Liquidators has shady practises and thats one of the reasons i left. Other than their material is trash in my opinion. I didnt like the fact that i met a lot of nice folks and then when a problem came along i had to follow "Company Rules" and make a happy customer into a person that totally ended up hating me because either because i wasn't able to honor warranties or any other issues with material. I really hated doing that to people. They have a lot of techniques and loop holes to try to get out of things. When i was there, they didn't like pulling permits for anything the city required. I got my ass handed to me when I tried to pull a permit for a large 10'x 10' electrical sign that had to be installed on sign of the building. They had also lied about me not required to have a mandatory lunch. It was the law and they told me that managers on salary are not required to have one. You eat when you have time. Of course I didn't find out till it was too late and the statute of limitation had run out. 7 years of that! I became and installer and now as an installer i made it a rule not to install anything from Lumber Liquidators. I turn anybody down as soon as they mention that name. And i tell them why. I am not the only installer that thinks of their material as trash. I have a customer whose her Floating bamboo plank is shrinking and keeps on shrinking. LL said it was a bunch of things like moisture and bad installation. Even the flooring installed over plywood upstairs is shrinking. Downstairs floor shrunk an inch already ans is still shrinking, it unsnapped and has gaps where it can not contract. Poor lady says she cries everyday!!! Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere. There are Mom and Pop stores offering great deals. They can beat LL! They got Bob Villa as a spokes person . LOL. Give me a million dollars and i will Say whatever they want me to say! Bobby got his floor for free as well. They are the scum of the flooring industry. They are not even members of the NWFA!! (National Wood Flooring Association ) And its because they have to meet certain standards that just scares them. They never take part of the Surfaces shows in Las Vegas every year. All the top manufacturers, even China manufacturers take part in the show. And China builds crap, Take it from me, Stay Away from them!! Don't become a victim. It can be a mistake in the Thousands!!

Good Luck to all of you!
STAY AWAY FROM LUMBER LIQUIDATORS. I purchased $7,000 of Morning Star Bamboo Qing Viper in July 2013. The floor started scratching immediately. White scratches are everywhere. All the same complaints are online if you Google search horror stories from around the country. The floor also smudges when one uses any water, murphy's oil soap, or other cleaning materials to wash the floor. Lumber Liquidators will deny your warranty claim.
A class action lawsuit is being put together. If interested in participating and learning more, call (206) 816 - 6603.
Flag Mon Apr 14, 2014
Also purchased approx. 1200 sq ft of this product from LLI and it is drying out and starting to separate have several places in the floor where the boards have separated and the largest crack is almost 1/2 inch and they seem to be getting bigger - I WOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
Same problem here, and LLI will do nothing about it. Their excuse is too much moisture or not enough moisture. I purchased a floor! I did not expect to have to maintain my home at an ideal temperature and humidity level similar to that of a terrarium for exotic reptiles and plants. Each passing day this flooring deteriorates further, and it has been installed now for only eight months. Please do not even consider installing this product!
Flag Fri Mar 7, 2014
I just purchased 425 sq of Tiger Strand from LL in Mansfield Ohio After reading all these reviews I'm scared of the stuff. Has the company made any changes or? I will not be screwed out of $3500.00 if the company isn't gonna back their product. Please reply with any comments. thanks
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
DON'T DO IT. i AM IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET ANSWERS ON THE 4500 i SPEND IN ON cARBONIZED STRAND BAMBOO FLOORING. i WAS TOLD IT WAS HARDER THAN OAK AND i PURCHASED THE TOP OF THE LINE UNDERLAYMENT. i AM HAVING THE SHRINKING SEPARATION PROBLEM. AT THE JOINTS. i'VE HAD 2 COMPANIES COME OUT AND SAY THAT IT IS A PRODUCT MALFUNCTION!
Flag Wed Mar 12, 2014
Aquamagic299, The LLI warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. Morning Star stranded bamboo flooring and LLI have numerous poor reviews on independent forums on the web. My first mistake was depending on the reviews shown on the LLI site. These reviews are posted only if they are "selected". Gee.......wonder who selects them? My second mistake was when I purchased the material. My experience is outlined below. The flooring materials I purchased cost @ $3,500.00 and LLI will take no action on their so called warranty. Unfortunately, if you have already purchased the flooring, I understand that LLI will charge you a 20% fee to return the materials (its in the fine print).
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
I highly suggest anyone who has purchased the bamboo flooring from LL contact this person: Vcharabowski,
Tell me if you are also looking at the strand bamboo flooring? All I see is laminate with regard to the formaldehyde problems.
Flag Fri Mar 6, 2015
update from buying LL bamboo floor: After several months, we ripped out the entire floor of bamboo purchased from LL and bought a new flooring that is just great. Big Lose for us! LL didn't honor any warranty sayiny the cupping was our fault. Our installer followed the directions for installing the floor. We asked LL to come out to the house to inspect the floor and LL refused. We sent pictures to their Va. office. As soon as we told them of a problem, we were immediately directed to their VA office for weeks of emailing how the floor was cupping with pictures. LL just seems to reject any redress for claims. Why did the floor cupped so badly? Their answer is that it was our fault. Stay away from LL. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against them!
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
I am currently fighting with Lumber Liquidators as well. Our flooring has been down for 4 months and it is pretty bad when you trip over the flooring getting out of bed. It has risen about 2 inches on two sides with 2 boards in the middle in various spots of my bedroom. I sell Real Estate for a living and have never seen a hardwood floor do this. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau, Attorney Generals Office and a local attorney. My question to the service representative is how can a company sell flooring in an area that has 4 seasons if it can't withstand acclimation to the climates. I am awaiting a call back.
Flag Fri Aug 22, 2014
Exactly what happened to our flooring? Such crap.
Flag Wed Mar 26, 2014
What new flooring did you buy?
Flag Fri Feb 28, 2014
It is NOT your fault! Contact this person: The Home Service Store
80 West Street Suite 104
Rutland, VT 05701
Phone - 866-891-5453 Ext.6726
Flag Tue Feb 4, 2014
Our floor has been down less than a year and has shrunk over an inch horizontally and 1/2 inch vertically. It is over their best "quite walk" barrier and started shrinking within 2 months. Lumber liquidators will not honor the warranty.
Flag Wed Dec 10, 2014
Just for the record, I was in Costco the other day and saw very, very good looking laminate floors for only $1.13/s.f. They were a beautiful, neutral, earthy color. Seldom do I buy anything at Costco that needs to be returned, so I know that they watch their quality control and demand a high value from their vendors.

It might be worth checking out, at least you know their warranty policy is better than "Liquidators".

GOOD LUCK with your floors.

Scott Miller
Realty Associates
Boca Raton, FL
Cheap is not always better. I would investigate what other floor dealers have to offer. Morning Star is a mass produced product and little care is taken for an end product.
I would NEVER EVER deal with LL again. I had Bamboo flooring in NY & absolutely loved it. Bought from an independent dealer. Never scratched & only dented when I dropped a heavy vase on it. This crap I bought from LL is awful. A week after installment - it was scratched from a dog as well as shoes. LL did not want to hear anything about it. So I am stuck with it till I can afford to replace it. Just so you know, I called several times & wrote to the president & got no reply. If you type in their name LL & complaints, you will see a load of unhappy customers who got no satisfaction. Good luck.
We have put in Morning Star lumber liquidators bamboo flooring in one room in our house over a year ago - have had no problems. When they first installed, they checked for moisture in the floors and found it too high & had to come back later. Perhaps one problem with some people is the floor installers didn't do their job correctly?
We live in Colorado, a very dry climate - very little humidity - no problems with buckling or anything. I've read some stuff about bamboo floors becoming too dry, but it looks as beautiful as the day it was installed!
There have been a few light scratched from moving a chair without padded bottoms across it. I used a slightly dampened rag to buff it and it came out. There's still a light dent, but hardly noticeable. I think you've just got to be careful and care for bamboo floors just like any other hardwood floors.
I've heard about the formaldehyde concerns, but haven't experienced any ill effects (yet...), I heard that formaldehyde comes out if you try to sandpaper the floor in order to refinish it.

"Morning Star uses urea formaldehyde, which information indicates emits more gas than the other form of formaldehyde. However, I do not know what is considered to be a safe level of emission. The data I received was provided by Lumber Liquidators and is titled Material Data Safety Sheet. I learned that the EPA was holding public hearings in the spring of 2009 to study the potential toxicity of formaldehyde in wood products used residentially and commercially, but I don't find anything current on its website." from http://forums.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&…

Here's some more info:

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/bamboo-flooring…

& updated from that article: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/bamboo-…
Hi AC.

99% of the answers posted here are completely against buying from LL. It seems that the same story is being told over and over again. With that in mind, you are being fairly warned by consumers like yourself. If I were you, I'd run the other way. LL's ads have always caught my attention because they're slick, colorful and the prices seem very low. Which leads us to another old but true addage, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is........." The LAST thing you want in your home is formaldehyde, OMG. There must be tons of flooring companies in and around Hoboken, go find one!!!

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller
Realty Associates
Boca Raton-Miami Beach, FL
I just bought the morning star lumber liquidators bamboo floor and installed in my family room. Within a few weeks it started to curl and buckle. We paid a higher price for the flooring. We told them we are installing the floor on a concrete slab. We had laminate flooring there for years with no problems. Now we are hearing you can't install this flooring on a concrete. We have had experts say the floor was installed properly. We are going to rip this new floor up and installed different laminate floor, not from lumber liquidators. We have just contacted Lumber Liquidators about the curling, warping, buckling floor which is getting worse each week, and based on what I see here, I don't expect much help from them

January 25, 2013
jwdprof:
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013
Thank you for this information!
Flag Fri Jan 25, 2013
Morning star is acrap product and LL does not stand behind it.
DON'T DO IT.
AC, if you know what you are doing with bamboo floors you will be fine.

Its a life style and up keep issue.

Best Regards
Perry
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
the reviews on the site are biased, i sent in a review and it never got posted>

I was wondering if you ended up getting the bamboo floors from Lumber Liquidators and how it worked out. I'm also thinking about getting the tiger strand version from LL but keep reading conflicting reviews on LL. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1 2