Ashley Merri…, Both Buyer and Seller in Knoxville, TN

Hardwood flooring throughout home, even in bathrooms?

Asked by Ashley Merritt, Knoxville, TN Tue Feb 17, 2009

Currently I am planning to install hardwood throughout the remainder of my home. I have seen some homes where hardwood is even in bathrooms. I realize that obvious, that water damage could be a problem, but other than that...would buyers complain? Any suggestions?

Answers

7
Yes, it looks really nice,,, but as it's been pointed out by the previous answers, and in your own question, water can be an issue. Putting tile in the bathroom would be more logical,,,even putting tile in with radiant floor heating would really excite the Buyers. It would cost around the same as hardwood, remove any "issue" of possible water damage from a Buyer's mind and certainly increase the amenities aspect of your home vs. what you're competing against in the present market in your area. With so many homes for sale, anything you can do to make your home standout (like radiant floor heating in the bath) drives the traffic to your house vs. the competition. Good luck!
Tina Evans, Broker
Web Reference: http://www.TinaEvans.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 18, 2009
My personal preference is tile or stone in bathroom areas rather than wood. Not only do those materials deal better with water, one can use chemicals to clean tile and stone and I like a sanitary bathroom.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 18, 2009
Hi Ashley,

If it's real hardwood & not laminate hardwood can be done in the baths. Laminate doesn't mix at all with water. Of course, it's not the first choice. I think buyers with small children might worry about it but I don't believe it would turn any one away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 18, 2009
I have hardwood in a downstairs bathroom (and kitchen) and would not do it again. The ease of clean-up w/ ceramic or other tile makes things easier. Also, I think the appearance of your kitchen is enhanced by well-laid, attractive tiles. It lightens things up.
Ashley,

Real hardwood is a asset to any home while laminate flooring with the appearance of wood in most cases deminishes the look of the home. The appearance of laminate flooring does not have make the same impression on a buyer as real hardwood floors.

If you are considering laminate floors we recommend exploring all other options before committing.

I believe a typical buyer would be looking for some sort of tile or water resistant surface in their bathrooms.

While I agree hardwood floors are beautiful, they are not practical in areas that routinely get wet, i.e. bathrooms, and most kitchens.

Case in point, we recently bought an renovated a home in West Hills that was built circa 1955. We refinished the existing hardwood floors and installed tile in both baths and the kitchen.

Before that we renovated another house and did put hardwood in the kitchen. I quickly discovered that if you drop most anything heavy on a hardwood floor it will dent it and the only way to properly repair is to replace that piece of wood and refinish the entire floor.
Hi Again Ashley, I am no home improvement expert by any stretch of the imagination but to me hardwood in a bathroom is a no go. Wood and water just don't go well together no matter ow careful you are, it's going to get wet. One of my previous listings(a custom home) had the faux wood vinyl plank flooring throughout the home including the baths and it was beautiful and carried a lifetime warranty. You might want to look into that. Lowe's carries it. I would rethink the wood floors in the bathrooms. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.brendajolly.net