Neil @ Trulia, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

Good Morning. How important is Feng Shui for you and/or your customers?

Asked by Neil @ Trulia, San Francisco, CA Mon Jul 14, 2008

This is a general question for both Realtors and home buyers/sellers.

For those who do not know what Feng Shui is: An ancient Chinese practice of improving beneficial chi to the land or house through various methods. For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_shui

Answers

6
Not particularly important where I am (Northern Virginia), except among certain groups/cultures who know what Feng Shui is.

Two related points, though: First, though I'm no expert on Feng Shui, I've been impressed that a lot of the basic principles align very nicely with concepts of good design, good staging, and good traffic flow through a home. So even in markets where Feng Shui isn't known, I think Realtors (and home stagers) would benefit from some knowledge of its principles.

Second, a bit "off the wall" for some, but I've studied Reiki, and many of the principles of Reiki are congruent with Feng Shui. Reiki applies to inanimate objects as well as living objects, and deals with positive energy flow. And, for that reason, too, I'd suggest that Realtors and stagers become at least somewhat familiar with the concepts.

Good question.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Neil, feng shui is not important to me personally. However, I have had only one client that it mattered to. We had to make sure the numbers in the address were right and that the property was not situated a certain way.

The only reason I would care is for my clients whom I care very much about.
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
I find it better to show houses when venues is aligned with mars
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2008
Had a client that wouldn't look at properties until his consultant "approved" them! That was a challenge. I learned a lot. Some of it is kind of wacky sounding to me (anything new can be wacky at first), but much of it is "intuitive".
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 14, 2008
I've taken several classes in Feng Shui to better understand the concepts as they are important to many of my clients. I also have learned about Vashtu which is a completely different set of elements that make a home auspicious for many of my Indian clients.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 14, 2008
Depends. I am Chinese and have Chinese clients.

A few do not care, the ones who care will not walk into a house if Feng Shui is not right driving up. Numbers have to be changed, houses have to face the right way, stairs have to be in a certain position, decorations need to be rearranged.

A lot of Feng Shui is really common sense and will guarantee a house is pleasant to live in. Others, is that people believe in from thousands of years of practice and tradition.

Yes, they are very, very important to some of my clients and, yes, it takes forever to find them the right house!

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 14, 2008
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA