Nelson, Home Buyer in Wilmington, CA

Garage to living space conversion in wilmington 90744

Asked by Nelson, Wilmington, CA Wed Aug 3, 2011

Can I get a permit from the city of Wilmington 90744 to make a conversion from a garage to a bedroom and a bath?

Answers

6
Alex Montelongo and Associates’ answer
This question is probably best answered by addressing the city directly. I personally have not seen a legal garage conversion to a bedroom in a long time. I have seen it done out of necessity without permit but it is usually torn down or converted back to a garage when the property is sold.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
-
I have had several lender/investors across the nation require reconversion as John as indicated. Be sure to check all of your local codes and ensure everything is done with a permit. Best to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 8, 2011
Not sure how it is in Wilmington but in my neck of the woods sometimes you can't transfer title until you to reconvert.
Most cities have parking requirements. For example, if you are converting a 3 bedroom home into a 4 bedroom home, then you may need to show that you have enough parking. Before you only needed 2 parking spaces, and now you may need 3 spaces.
Nelson,

Although I am not familiar with your local building codes, I have done a lot of remodeling projects and dealt with city/county officials in 9 different counties.

Unless there is some ordinance on the books preventing such a conversion you should be able to get a permit, but you will need to bring everything to code, and what you call the space may have effect on what you need to do and the corresponding cost. For example, a bedroom may require hard-wired smoke detectors but an "office" won't.. However, having an extra legal bedroom could help on resale so you should do a cost analysis to figure out which makes more sense.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Nelson,

Converting a garage to a living space can involve much more than meets the eye. Building code regulations will likely require that you elevate the floor level to the same hight as the rest of the first floor. Generally, the poured garage slab is not high enough to keep water out.

Door, windows, electricity, and plumbing will all need to be done to code. The approval process usually requires a drawing that in most cases is best done by a professional.

The best way to get an accurate appreciation of what this process will involve is to be in touch with your communitiy code enforcement office.