jfwoodman, Home Buyer in Moraga, CA

For SF Bay area, what is a ballpark cost per s.f. for new home construction (ground up), assuming above average materials, around 3500 sf?

Asked by jfwoodman, Moraga, CA Wed Jun 6, 2012

Answers

10
It's all depend how you consider above average materials are..... my most recent project just completed with amenities like tile roof, 2x6 walls, high ceilings with coffered, all LED lightings and low voltage wiring, marble and hardwood(Brazilian cherry original 3/4"x 5" wide), granite counters with island, bathrooms with 10K allowances for materials etc at $150 per sq ft.
If I have to sell this I would say it's possible to get it done on or below $200/ sq ft.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 20, 2014
Hi Jatin:
Would like to connect with you to discuss a project I have. Would appreciate if you could please call me or give me your tel #. Thanks much!
Navneet
408 666 2110
Flag Sun Jul 6, 2014
Hi Jatin...it would be great if you can share the process for getting a good build for under $200 per sqft. I am also explore the building option. thanks.
Flag Sat Jul 5, 2014
As an agent who also works with an LLC that renovates homes in San Francisco, I'd say you're going to be spending around $400 a foot for new construction. That wouldn't include non-construction costs like your architect, structural engineer, the land itself, permits, etc. For 3500 sq feet, all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if you spent $2,500,000 or even more, depending on the contractor and other professionals you work with, and where in the city the lot you buy is.

I'm happy to help you find a property and have great connections with some awesome construction professionals in the bay area. Feel free to contact me any time.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
It will vary depending on the lot grade and the type of construction. Excluding the price of the lot:
If the grade is not extreme and you want standard stick frame construction you will be OK budjeting for $400 SF. If you are on a steep grade and want large window bays that means you will be utilizing some steel, the windows will cost more and typically so will the finishes, $500SF is quite doable. This is the point where the architect, owner and the contractor have a meeting during the design stage and good contractor will make recomendations that can save the homeowner money. This is called value engineering. Often times the same end product can be achieved ad a reduced cost with good planning.
Jack Thompson
General Contractor
SFresidentialcontractor@gmail.com
#757692
Hello, You have some varied answers here. Most are correct. By saying above average materials you can be sure of this. It will be no lower then $350 a sf. That is for the house only. You will need to factor in plan drawing, land fees of course, and the fees by the community government that the jurisdiction is in. These can be very hefty but are not a mystery. Call the town planning/building dept. and they will give a close idea of the cost. They have it all written out and are happy to give these to you. It is usually better to just walk in, you will get better service. We specialized in custom homes but do not build so many these days for a number of reasons. Two good ones are 1.) There are many beautiful homes on beautiful lots or land that can be completely altered for quite a bit less, many times then the cost of a new home. The other reason is the cost. The fees for new homes now are tremendous as this is one of the few ways financially hurting community governments can get money. Understandably so. But it hurts.
If you need an architect or a builder feel free to call us. We help with initial planning all the way to construction and work with several architects. Or get someone you know to help of course. If this is something you really want to follow through with without too much commitment till you have an idea of cost, you will need to get a preliminary design and then get an estimate from a builder. There are a lot of plans available from architectural firms on the internet that you can get for very little money (several hundred $ or less) and then fill in all the finishes and get a contractor to give you square ft ballpark prices.
Feel free to call,
Bill Isaak
707-953-1526
info@isaakcorp.com
Above average materials, with above average installation? $500+
Thanks gents, that's helpful. I've been patiently waiting for the right house in Moraga, but it's a small market, with limited existing product. So I was curious about a couple land opportunities, but I'm not sure it will pencil out, or if I have the stomach for it.
Hey Jeff,
If you'd like to have a discussion about it, then give me a call. I could also send you some new construction properties to look at and you can see the range based on neighborhood, finishes, Condo/single family home ect... You can call or my email address is 415realestate@gmail.com and I'll send you some information from there... Your range could be $350-$400 sq/ft conservatively and you have to factor in neighborhoods and permit process for the duration of the project.. Difficult neighbors can drive the cost up. Hope that helps..

Brian 415 846 5017
"Above average" is a subjective term, but I would say $400+ per sq ft. It's also a LOT of work - I would look at it as a second job. Make sure you are ready for something like that.
There are too many variables in this to even give you a ballpark:
You might be able to do it for $250/sqft
or it could be $450/sqft
That's a lot of ground to cover.
You need to contact Contractors and get some estimates;
I gather that you already have had an Architect do a set of plans so that you aren't drawing plans in the air?
What did the Architect say?