Mission Land…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Exterior egress staircase in San Francisco

Asked by Mission Landlord, San Francisco, CA Sun Aug 22, 2010

The second-floor exterior egress staircase of our income property in San Francisco needs replacing. Where/how can I find out if a large metal spiral staircase would meet code?

I've already searched the city's website and found several permits issued for exterior spiral staircases, but they don't state clearly whether these are also "exterior egress" stairways...

Help the community by answering this question:


I am sure you already have the answer, but just in case. The best is to call the Building Department in San Francisco. Second talk to a licensed contract, I like Rick Riley with Riley Construction you can go to my web to get his info at annasheasf.com . Also are you a member of the SFAA? They can also help with those questions.

Hope this helps!

Anna Shea
Barbagelata Company
Web Reference: http://www.annasheasf.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 27, 2010
My colleagues have given you several referrals so I thought I would just add a safety and resale thought. Many buildings have a Z shaped staircases. They are easy access for emergency egress. I know... a spiral staircase looks all cool, swell and wonderful... think about this.

I would consider functionality into the equation as well. In the case of a fire, the only exit is... the spiral staircase. It might look great but imagine yourself as a 33 year old mother(or father), 2 children 3 and 7(it's 1AM), the only way to exit, is that spiral staircase. That's when resale comes to mind... one day you may want to sell and that couple walks through. Pregnant with second child. They look at that cool spiral staircase. One of their thoughts may be, "what's it going to cost to replace that?"

Just a thought... sometimes convention is good. Just my two cents.

Good luck in your thought process and research.

Herb Alston
Coldwell Banker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 23, 2010
Try calling PJ Rielly 415-317-3731. PJ is a trusted contractor I have used for years. You can also go down to 1600 or 1660 Mission st and check with the building dept.

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010

As Bev mentioned a reputable licensed contractor should be able to answer that for you, or if you want to get a preliminary idea you can go down to the building department. We do our own projects and work with several good contractors - if you'd like some referrals send me an email to lance@fixedrateproperties.com.

Best Regards,

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
A good Contractor or Architect will know the building codes, and be able to answer your questions. They can
also give you a estimate at the same time.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer