Newhomebuyer…, Home Buyer in Lewis Center, OH

Extended Loft or a 5th bedroom?

Asked by Newhomebuyer04, Lewis Center, OH Fri Apr 20, 2012

we are planning to buy a new home where we have one master suite. additional living room which we decided to convert an in-law suite and another 2 bedrooms(smaller size) on the second floor with an extended loft. so there are in total 4 bedrooms right now and 3.5 baths. Our idea was to also convert the extended loft to a 5th bedroom. Any suggestions on whether we should do that or not? need to submit the final designs edits by today evening.

Answers

5
Make sure you get permits and make sure that the floor plan flows nice (bathroom next to bedrooms, etc). Other than that, go for it. If you are planning on adding square footage, get a Realtor or Appraiser to review the value of your home "as is" and the value of your home with the additional square footage to see if it will increase home value. Most likely, it will not, but you can always check.
Bob, just giving my opinion. I don't think I've ever had anybody ask for a (5) bedroom home, or at least say it was a problem with only (4) bedrooms. A house with (4) bedrooms and a bonus room is more marketable and more useable in my opinion. There are many things you can do with a loft or a bonus room. Not that much you can do with a bedroom. I would have answered differently if it was between 3 and 4 bedrooms but IMO a 5 bedroom home is overkill in that area. Especially considering that builders are building more 3 bedroom homes than before. I wouldn't add a fifth bedroom unless I had a specific need for it. I guess the only thing that would sway me is understand exactly how the buyer is "converting" the living room to a bedroom. Come to think of it, that means (2) bedrooms down and (2) up. Well, (3) bedrooms up is the norm....so maybe it's not such a bad idea.
James, thanks for your reply.
well this is a split level home, so we have kitchen living, dining and laundry on the first floor. half level down from the first floor is another living space which we thought of converting to an in-law suite as our parents would visit and stay with us often. half level up the first floor is the master suite and on the second floor are the other 2 bedrooms and the extended loft. this house has a walkout basement.
You might be aware of the split level plans that Dominion has in their celebration series homes.
now what do you suggest? a bedroom or a loft?

thanks
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
I saw where another broker answered un favorably to the 5th bed room idea. My response is based on over 30+ yrs of experience. It won't matter one way or the other if the conversion is done to the same specs as the builder would have used.
I stand pat with my answer.

Ciao
Bob, thanks for your reply. well this is a split level home, so we have kitchen living, dining and laundry on the first floor. half level down from the first floor is another living space which we thought of converting to an in-law suite as our parents would visit and stay with us often. half level up the first floor is the master suite and on the second floor are the other 2 bedrooms and the extended loft. this house has a walkout basement. You might be aware of the split level plans that Dominion has in their celebration series homes. now what do you suggest? a bedroom or a loft? thanks
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
If the floor plan was one that the builder designed to go either way( an option for a loft, or a 5th bed room) then it is an easy conversion and will not hurt you to do so.

Bob Hicks
Buyer, 5 bedroom homes are not very sought after. My guess is that most buyers would want 4 bedrooms + a loft, not 5 bedrooms. That has been my experience.