Remodel & Renovate in Boise>Question Details

auntiebk, Home Owner in Boise, ID

Estimate remodel costs for a 5 x 10 bathroom including subfloor? Suspect moisture from shower/bath weakend floor enough to loosen toilet.

Asked by auntiebk, Boise, ID Sun Feb 3, 2013

Answers

8
Chuck Miller’s answer
I apologize for my delay in responding. I broke my leg last last week and it has slowed me down somewhat. As the others who have responded have noted, the cost would depend on the scope of work. If you can answer the following questions, I can provide you with a preliminary estimate:

How old is the home? If it were built before 1978 and the work will disturb more than 6 square feet of painted surface, the work would be subject to the Federal law requires contractors that disturb painted surfaces in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978 to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. You can dowload a copy of the EPA's "Lead Safe Certified Guide to Renovate Right" publication on the Remodeling page of my webstie http://www.chuckmillerconstruction.com

What fixtures are currently installed?
- Tub (Fiberglass or Iron?)
- Shower (Fiberglass or tile surround? Glass shower doors?)
- Toilet
- Vanity (How many sinks?)

Do we need to provide new fixtures?
- Tub / Shower
- Toilet
- Vanity
- Sinks / Faucets

The loose toilet could simply be the result of a rusted toiltet ring and not rotten subflooring. Is there any other evidence of possible moisture damage, i.e. buckled or loose flooring?

What is the existing flooring, i.e. vinyl, vinyl tile, ceramic tile?

If there is no evidence of possible moisture damage, do you want to replace the existing flooring? If yes, with what material?

Paint?

Light fixtures? Bath exhaust fans?

Mirror(s)?

Remodeling magazine just published their 2013 Remodeling Cost vs. Value Report. I just posted a link to the download on my homepage http://www.chuckmillerconstruction.com.

They estimate the cost of mid-range bathroom remodel at $14,367. It is defined as an update to an existing 5-by-7-foot bathroom, including replacing all fixtures to include 30-by-60-inch porcelain-on-steel tub with 4-by-4-inch ceramic tile surround; new single-lever temperature and pressure-balanced shower control; standard white toilet; solid-surface vanity counter with integral sink; recessed medicine cabinet with light; ceramic tile floor; vinyl wallpaper.

Our experience has been that we can usually do the work for much less.

You can respond here or email me at chuck@chuckmillerconstruction.com
Thank you for your question. We are unaware of any water damage to the master bath or anywhere in the home. Please contact me if you'd like to see the home in person.
-BarbaraAnn Williamson, Realtor, Keller Williams Realty Boise
Many thanks to you all, you've given me lots to think about.
Quick background - I own a lot of rental property and have overseen or participated in many rehab projects. That being said, what is your goal? Do you want to have the flooring and subfloor replacd and the toilet reset (around $800). a completely new bathroom (as little as $2,500 if you are able to do some basic painting and finish work or $20,000 or more if you want a showcase bathroom). If you need the names of some good contractors or subcontractors, or just want some information on the process, feel free to call.
Oh, you can spend way more but I had the feeling this might be an older home and a basic remodel can be done.
Have a feeling Boise, Idaho may be less expensive than my area. I would expect to pay in the area of $5000.00 for a nice remodel.
Of course there are many factors to consider. Do you need to pull out a replace tub and/or surround or tile, what type of flooring finish, vanity choice, new toilet, etc, etc. it can cost as little as $800 all the way up to $2500 or more. I just completed one for $1500 which included new support for old tub, new tub surround, new toilet and new flooring (cut out and repaired subfloor damaged areas). This took just over two days in and out! I am both a realtor and a contractor and would be happy to give you my ideas. Jan Stanley - Mountain Realty - 208/407-9521