Niliwear, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Does anyone know length of process and estimated cost to a) legally convert from 2 to 3 fam and b)add add'l heating unit(s) so that tenant pays?

Asked by Niliwear, Brooklyn, NY Sun Dec 11, 2011

own utilities? Looking at purchasing a 2 fam that only needs a kitchen to have parlor floor be used as a rental. Trying to estimate these costs before I decide whether to purchase. Property is in Bed Stuy. Thanks all...

Answers

4
Dear Niliwear:

First you have to make sure you can even do it in the first place. You have to look at the zoning to see if a three family dwelling would be permitted. You need to speak to an architect and maybe even a lawyer to help you. The legal cost of the conversion alone would be about $10,000 in Brooklyn and that does not take into consideration any physical changes that you would have to make in order to do the conversion. There are many safety codes a three family has to meet that a two family does not. All along the process the city will also have to come and inspect and if anything is not to their liking you will have to fix it. It may open a big can of worms.

Also, if you want to add another heating system, it has to be done by a licensed plumber/electrician and you are talking about $5,000 minimum and you also have to have enough space to do it. It would be a lot easier just to purchase a legal three family.

If you need a recommendation, I know some architects and lawyers if you need. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 11, 2011
Check with your local building's department for any applicable permits beforehand; thereafter contact a few local licensed contractors for free estimates.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/forms/forms_appointment.shtml
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 11, 2011
Thanks all! And Mitchell, I will let you know if I go down this road and need referrals.
This is totally dependant upon the size of the project,materials used and the cost of your architect. You need to start your planning with your architect, your contractor and your bank if your tasking out a mortgsge. After you have your permits your contractor can start the schedual of the work being performed and where you start and where your going to finish. Your time line will be clear under perfect conditions and if all the inspections are performed as the contractor finish each part of the construction. Don't be disinheartened if the schedual is not exact and takes longer than expected. You may want to constraints into your contract if you think you need it. good luck to you and also determine does this addition help you and does it increase the value of you property. Some additions aren't always worthit and increase the value of your property...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 11, 2011