Remodel & Renovate in 90803>Question Details

soulicious0, Both Buyer and Seller in Long Beach, CA

Does anyone have recommendations for kitchen remodeling? Places to purchase countertops and cabinets?

Asked by soulicious0, Long Beach, CA Sat Sep 28, 2013

Also I was wondering about suggestions for what type of flooring is durable and a good price. I was looking at bamboo, engineered. Also are there any resources for comparing prices design etc for remodeling in general?
Long Beach or Los Angeles areas

There is a difference between remodel, which adds square footage to the structure, whereas renovation is a freshening of the finishes.

Currently, they have tile flooring that has the appearance of hardwood without the wear issues and is very reasonable and available Home Depot or Lowes. I personally have bamboo in some of my income properties and it wears fine as long as it's cared for, and that's with dogs on the home. My suggestion would be to consider where you live, the home values in your area, and your goals. If you're looking to save a bit the two companies, Home Depot and Lowes, also do installation (no endorsement here). I would suggest that whether you decide to go full renovation and hire a general contractor, make sure you do the following:

1. Read your contract and resolve any issues before you sign
2. Keep your permits in your possession
3. And keep an eye your contractor.

I have heard over the years horror stories even from personal referrals. The safest best is to get everything upfront, in writing, make sure the sub-contractors are paid and so is the material. Finally pay in stages. The last thing you need is a mechanics lien for work already paid or unfinished.

I have worked with them many times as I also have General contractors B license.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
Get a couple of bids from reliable contractors. Then decide if you can do the job cheaper or better. If you do not know much about flooring, subflooring, cabinets, counters, etc. then that would be a big job to undertake.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
HD Suplies stores have granite counter tops and kitchen cabinets. They have florring and tiles there as well. I can send you the list with the store locations. My investors/developers buy the kitchen cabinets there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
Thanks I've heard of HD supplies but only have been I'll check their prices as well for comparisons!
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013
IKEA has great deals on kitchens. Also, if you're on a budget, Habitat for Humanity has two retail stores called ReStore. One in Garden Grove and one in Santa Ana. They sell used and new products including kitchen cabinets, doors, windows and hardware.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 28, 2013
Hey thanks for the advice. I actually just went to the habitat restore and yes they have some great stuff there. I had heard that IKEA cabinets are not very durable as most of the laminate could peel and the cabinet boxes are made of fiber board?
Flag Sat Sep 28, 2013

Is this in preparation to rent a property out, to sell it, or for your living in? The strategies and material choices may be different, depending on if it is a rental property, etc.

Kind regards,

There are a lot of materials to choose from, that's for sure. The flooring really depends on your personal preferences and how much time you want to spend on maintenance. In any situation, I would recommend getting a good kitchen designer. It sounds like you're revamping your entire kitchen. I'd imagine a designer would help you decide on what materials to use.
I've been wanting to do some remodeling on my house for a while now. It's hard to find the right contractor, I agree with you there. I was thinking about talking to the contractor that built my house for referrals. I'll probably ask some other contractors as well. It seems like they'd have a pretty good idea about which contractors do good work and which ones don't. They should have some pretty good recommendations I think.…
For Kitchen Remodeling recommendations, I ahve just Googled and foudn this one… a quick outline of some very creative ideas. really a worth readin this.

For purchase of countertops and cabinets I would like to better suggest you to go with either ebay or amazoom. within low budget you find find some good options there.
You may view this link too, for some good kitchen remodeling ideas.
Flag Wed Dec 24, 2014
A general rule of thumb when you are doing a remodel is to get bids from 3 different contractors who work in the area. If your home is located in a historic district, you want a contractor who is familiar with historic homes. You want to make sure you are comfortable with the contractor, that his/her bid is fair, and that you can communicate well with each other.

I have had great experiences with Ben Morey with Morey Construction Group, and with Grant Lacey from S&L Contracting.

I have a great contact for flooring! His name is Tom Rice with Bixby Plaza flooring (see Yelp for more info!). He can help you select the best flooring for the space based on your budget and durability needs. I have seen some bamboo in laminate, and there are only a few finishes that don't look overly fake to my design eye (I am a Realtor and designer/stager).

Best of luck, and email me if you would like anyone's contact info!
The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to be the project manager ? If yes continue reading if not hire a General Contractor.
I know of a few call me 562-756-2055

I use Stone Age for all my granite. I have used them on 4 properties already and by far they have the most selection and great pricing. You can try them for flooring they can be a bit more expensive on flooring. But if you want just drive down from Stone Age and you will find a plethora of flooring stores. I pay 4 to 5 dollars a sq foot installed. Plus the Tile u want. Ok now cabinets I use custom cabinets they fit better and will last longer and you really don’t pay much more. I have a few cabinet makers I use in long beach Garcia Cabinets I use for cost. Since your remodeling get some under cabinet lighting done it will make the granite sparkle. One last thing Austin Hardware in Santa Anna great place to buy your new handles and so much more.
I would surely try Habitat for Humanity store FIRST... There is one in Garden Grove on Harbor near Garden grove blvd.

I have bought some great stuff there!!!

Also contractors warehouse in Santa Ana is awesome. They have a lot of over stock items, and low prices.

As for flooring Bamboo I good for area where there may be water leaks like kitchens and baths. It does not buckle if it gets too wet.

I like stone for the kitchen and bath over any type of wood, but if I had to do it again and wood was the option I would take bamboo.

Have Fun With Your Project!!!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
If you have any dogs then the engineered laminates won't show wear like real wood. I would pick wood or laminate in a kitchen over tile any day. I have tile and hate as if you drop anything glass (I tend to be clumsy) it shatters in zillions of pieces. The new products are great and look like real wood.
Tile is recommended in the kitchen because there will be no water damage to the floor if there are any issues with the dishwasher, etc.
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hi, I'm Paul Ciccarelli, of PNC Design Consultants, a dealer of Crystal Cabinets and specializing in quality kitchen renovations. With over 30 years of experience in residental design and construction I can provide you an extensive selection of cabinets, countertops, flooring materials and any other products needed for your remodeling project. Working with local tradesmen and suppliers I also can guarantee you the highest quality of workmanship and a vast selection of products, while most importantly keeping your project on buget, finished on time and most competitively priced.

I pride myself in keeping up with the lastest technology in engineered residental products and their applications.

I look forward in speaking with you. Please call me at 562-498-2570 and I'll answer your questions about what type of bamboo flooring is best suited for your needs.

Building for a better tomorrow,
Paul Ciccarelli

References upon request.
as for the floow we were very happy with the linoleum we got from a place on Redondo Avenue just south of Anaheim, its next door to the dood will place. they have real linoleun, not the vynal floor you will get at the large box stores, real linoleum is a product from "seed oils" not from petrolium, the color is integral so if its scratched the color goes thru. its aslo softer on the feet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013…
they built an entire kitchen for us using all walnut, 3 years later the workmanship is still prefect. The did our medium sized kitchen with lots of beveled glass doors and pull out drawers for less than 6k. was cheeper than the moduliar cabiments from home depot and we got solid walnut doors and hardwood plywood shells, no particleboard!
Wait, is the flooring for the KITCHEN also? Then forget all laminate, hardqood, or bamboo, they all are sensitive to water ( some are mire, some are less sensitive, but on the long term none of them are a good candidate). Consider linoleum or different types of tile. Again, the choice depends on many factors
My flooring I usually get from a place in North Hollywood. Its quite a drive, but if you don't mind, I can get you their contact.
I usually use laminate hardwood, which is cheaper and stronger that the real wood. More important is underlayment. Are you on the ground floor, a solid concrete slab, or do you have neighbors below and you old slab is thin and cracked up? Is soundproofing important? ( if there are neighbors below, then the answer is yes)