Brenda Feria, Real Estate Pro in 23233

Do you think that having a generator increases the value of a home?

Asked by Brenda Feria, 23233 Tue Oct 5, 2010

Answers

6
If you live in a rural area then a generator can be a positive item to highlight but how much value $$$ it would have is minimal at least IMO.
Considering that generators are only about $2,000 - $3000, you're not talking about a significant impact on the value of a home!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 5, 2010
Brenda,

Realistically, having a generator may increase a properties appeal to the buyer but as far a increasing the value, it would be minimal. Similar to a golf cart.....how much would one of these increase a home's value?

I don't believe there are any generators that "attach to the land", and therefore are personal property not included with a real estate sale, except as included as personal personal property such as a plug in spa or free standing electric fireplace would be included. Personal property can be something that helps negotiate any pest inspection work. Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
Brenda,

I think that having a generator increases the value of a home IF you live in an area where there are frequent storms and power outages. I don't think it would be a very significant value though. I live and work as a Realtor on Cape Cod and I don't think that it would add much if any value here on the Cape.

Also, it depends very much on the buyer as some buyers may require or prefer a home with a generator. Hope that helped and good luck to you!

-Sunny Fellman, Realtor
sfellman@kinlingrover.com
The value is minimal overall however it does add a great deal of desirability for anyone who lives in an area of frequent power outages. Until you los epower say in a great ice storm followed the next year by a great wind storm for days on end with no sign of the power crews, then a generator is mans best friend.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com