Remodel & Renovate in 91604>Question Details

Ch, Home Buyer in Studio City, CA

Do I need a permit to move a Water Heater out of the house?

Asked by Ch, Studio City, CA Sun Jun 14, 2009

I've seen some properties that have the water heater located inside the house in some space wasting locations, such as, in the kitchen.
Do I need to get a permit to re-locate the water heater to outside of the house?
Is it expensive to re-locate the water heater to outside of the house?
Who should I call to take care of this?

Help the community by answering this question:


Joe Nernberg’s answer
Definitely need a permit. Your local building department is on Van Nuys & Sylvan. This may be a good time to buy a tankless water heater. You can hang the tank on an exterior wall which will means you will not need a shed and no holes in the roof. The Southern California Gas Company still offers a $100.00 Energy Star rebate. The cost difference may be within $200.00 when you compare total labor and materials costs for tank-type or tankless water heater. Also, you will never, never, never run out of hot water (never).

Check out the selection of tankless water heaters at Hirsch Plumbing Supply on Oxnard (near Sepulveda Blvd.).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 14, 2009
Hello Ch and thanks for your question.

As my favorite oracle, Steve O, has already stated, you will definitely need a permit to move the water heater to another location within your home or garage. This is due, in large part, to the exhaust that must be moved in your roof, the natural gas line that must be added to the new location, the water lines that must be changed from the current location to the new location. For what seems like such a simple thing, you'd be surprised how much work and how many vendors will be required to complete the job.

In my case, for example, in moving the water heater from the left side of my garage to the right side, I ended up having to cut a new hole in the roof for the new exhaust and then patching the side where the exhaust used to be, moving the gas line, and rerouting all of the hot water lines. PG&E or your local utility may also need to inspect your work along with the City inspectors to determine that your new installation will not pose any health or fire hazards to your home and occupants. In the end, at a minimum, you'll need a plumber and roofer or contractor, the city inspector and the utiltiy inspector to do this job correctly--and I would strongly suggest that this work be done by professionals so that it does not become an issue later when you try to sell the home.

Good luck!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 14, 2009
Hi Ch, you will most likely need a permit to move the water heater. You will have to meet local building code requirements for placement. This will involve new natural gas, water supply and delivery piping, as well as exhaust ventilation. You will likely need to employ a plumber, and assuming you are not moving the water heater to the garage, a carpenter to build a weather shell. I would suggest you start at the building department permit office to find out all the details.

Personally, I would use licensed contractors. You can check to see if someone is licensed by going here:…

I would ask for contractor referrals from people you know and trust. An online service that has customer feedback rating is , which I personally use.

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 14, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer