Remodel & Renovate in 01606>Question Details

Lauty1981, Home Owner in 01606

Converting first floor laundry room into a 13 x 8 bedroom in 2 bed 2.5 bath house.

Asked by Lauty1981, 01606 Mon Feb 14, 2011

So i have a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath cape.
Second floor has the 2 good sized bedrooms (big master) and shared full bath
First floor has a big kitchen, dining room, formal livining room, family room, laundry room, and full bath
Half of the basement is finished for another family room as well with a half bath.

With a kid on the way we are going to be losing our guest room and I was thinking of converting the first floor laundry into 13 x 8 bedroom. We wouldnt really lose any flow to the house but would lose a smaill food pantry in the hallway for the bedroom closet. I would then move the laundry to the unfiinished portion of the basement and could potentially throw up some walls to finish the area into a nice laundry room

So would this be good for resale or is that too narrow of a bedroom? Should I just leave the setup as is and by a pull out couch for guests. We plan to be in the house for then 5-7 more years.

Your plans sound great. The extra bedroom should bring you more money. Your kitchen sounds like it can handle the extra pantry overflow. Hopefully this space has a window which is really important.. Make sure that you pull whatever permits needed when doing this work. Buyers nowadays are always making sure renovations are done within city regulations.
The bottom line is no one knows what the market will be like in 5-7 years, and you are the one who will be living in this home for those remaining years. You should do what you feel will make you happy and comfortable to continue living there.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do and Congrats on the new baby!!!
There are a lot of buyers that will see the extra bedroom as very attractive and that should help. I hope that you can find someone that feels that way at least. People, in general, are having fewer kids these days so the extra bedroom won't be attractive to everyone. I agree that you should make sure to have all the necessary permits for this job.
Flag Tue Mar 3, 2015
Make sure the laundry room has the proper sized window for egress before you convert it into a bedroom.
A 3rd bedroom is great but it is small so you may want to consider moving to a house that fits your needs better. In this market it is the best time to upgrade
Just an answer to some of the responses...I connected to the town sewer so the septic system will not be an issue and also as part of changing the laundry room to the bedroom I will be closing off the hallway that leads to it and already has a food pantry closet in it. So there will be no issue adding a closet to the room as it will already be there and I'll just change the layout of that closet pretty easily
The main points to consider -- first, you must create a closet in order for it to qualify as a bedroom so that it can add value to your home. If you have any questions about Appraisals and the appraisal process, there is a six-part instructional series here:
which will explain that in order for a room to qualify as a bedroom, it must have a closet, or cannot be 'appraised' as such. If you can somehow engineer a closet in there, then you would, indeed, add substantial value to your home.
One tiny point that no one else seems to have addressed... if you have a septic system, you will need to evaluate it's size in relation to the number of rooms you can call "bedrooms" when selling. If you are on town sewer, congrats, move ahead! But if you have a private sewerage system, your home can have as many bedrooms as your septic capacity allows and no more. A home with a 2 bedroom septic design is a 2 bedroom home, and will have to be sold as such. It's an especially important issue in MA, with a Title V inspection required before you sell.
Otherwise, I'd suggest you do whatever will fit YOUR life best- reselling within 5-7 years means a long time of living with the house. An added bedroom is a plus for many buyers, but a first floor laundry is a big deal to many others... either way you have a selling point, so go for what makes your life easiest!
Best of luck!
Hi Lauty,

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival of another family member!

While a three bedroom home is will add value to your home, you already mentioned that you are planning on staying in the home for 5-7 more years. I would recommend that you leave your house the way it is. Not only will you avoid the added stress of a construction project in the near future, you might regret moving your laundry room to the basement with the added laundry you'll be doing.

You might concentrate on making the basement room more conducive to having could perhaps purchase a Day Bed or pull-out couch if you don't have one already. Having the half bath down there is KEY!

I always have my clients think about WHAT WORKS FOR THEM. Your guests are temporary so no permanent adjustments are necessary. At a minimum, I think you should wait until the new family member arrives to make any decisions.

When you are ready to sell, you can revisit your options. If the Real Estate Market dictates a sizable return on your investment if you convert the Laundry Room into a third bedroom, you could consider doing that!

Just remember: for the same reasons YOU bought the house, another buyer will too!

Hi Lauty,

I agree with Tanya and the others. A third bedroom will add value to your home and make it more marketable when you are ready to sell. Many buyers will not even consider a home that does not have at least three bedrooms. Their search criteria most often starts with 3+ bedrooms. So I say "go for it". Just make sure that you add a closet in order for it to be considered a bedroom.
Hello Lauty,

Adding a viable room always adds value to your property. Weighing the cost of the build-out is important and it seems you have done this. The trick to making the guest room look not to small is the size, placement and number of furniture pieces you put in the room...keep it sparse and use smaller scale furniture. It will look great and your guests will be happy.

Best of luck with you project; I think it is a great idea!

Jessica Harvey
Well I wouldnt say we have guest over that frequent but with a new baby on the way and my wife's parents not too close I'm sure there are nights they are going to be spending over. And the reason I am hesitant to put a bedroom in the basement is that the ceilings are lower (7 ft) and the bedroom could not be a legal bedroom for resale purposes down there. (Small window thats too high)
It is important to update your home as you want it to be for yourself, not neccesarily as it will appear to next owner. Most often, if work is done professinally and with proper permitting updates pay off in the future. Adding a bedroom typically adds value.
Enjoy your home.
I think it is a great idea. Losing storage in the kitchen is a minus, but you can buy lots of storage shelves and make a "mini mart" in the basment to make up for it. Even if the bedroom is small if you can fit a bed and a dresser in it you are all set. Most people will use it as an office.
In the end I think you should do what makes sense for you in the house. But I do think that it may very well add value when you go to sell since there's a significant bump in values from a two to a three-bedroom. As others have mentioned it may work for future owners as an office - but that's good too since a first floor office or den is very convenient.
I'm with the last respondent. Adding another bedroom, even a small one, adds value to the house and most buyers won't have a problem with a laundry room downstairs - especially if it is a finished one. You're on the right track here. Food pantry space can easily be replaced with some sort of a california closet build-out in the kitchen, if there's space (and if there isn't, that's ok).
How often do you have guests? I'm not thrilled about the idea of having such a small bedroom. (Yes it might potentially add value...but people may also see it for what it really is...a converted laundry room and it could pose a problem when you try to sell).

If you're already talking about putting up walls in the basement for the laundry room, why not just put in a bedroom down there?
Having another bedroom will add value to your home. Yes, this is a small bedroom - so, when you get ready to show your house please have it staged properly. (declutter, neutral etc.) I realize this is a small bedroom yet the next owners may see the value as you have. They may even use it as a small home office or craft area. Sounds, like you are in New England. There are many laundry rooms in the basement in New England and finishing it off would benefit you there as well.