Remodel & Renovate in 11040>Question Details

Jabezfu, Home Buyer in 11040

Convert a bedroom into a master bathroom?

Asked by Jabezfu, 11040 Tue Sep 22, 2009

I owned a colonial. There are 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom on second floor. I plan to convert 2 bedrooms into a master bedroom with master bathroom. In this case, the second floor will become 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Should I do that? Will the resale value decrease? Will the property taxes increase? Please advise.
Thanks a lot.

Answers

5
Jabezfu, did you end up doing this conversion? I would be interested in pictures/ideas/plans to accomplish the conversion (I am in the exact same situation).
As you are painfullly aware the fourth bedroom comes as a liability because you are limited to only one bath room. Although acceptable in the 1950's and 60's a home with a single bath is no longer desirable or acceptable.

In our opinion you will be doing yourself and your home a great service by converting a bedroom to a bath. This will definitely enhance your homes utility now and its sale ability in the future.

The Eckler Team
In my experience, more buyers want a second bathroom than a fourth bedroom. I doubt making the change will dramatically affect the value of the home. If you plan on staying in the house for at least another five years, I wouldn't concern myself over the change. You should check with your local township about the tax issue. I doubt the taxes will change much if at all since you're not increasing the amount of livable space in the house. Good luck. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Ralph Windschuh
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Jabezfu,
If you will be more comfortable in this situation you should do it. You will be living there and your requirments are that you need or would like a large master with a separate bathroom. a three bedroom 2 bathroom colonial with the configuration that you describe is no more or less valauble than what you already have. At the very least if you do a nice quality job it will be updated and possibly be more saleable but not valuable. So if you like it dont be expecting others to but while you are living there you should enjoy your space in the design you like. The property tax should not increase you are not adding sqft to the property or changing the exterior. The value will not be effected either so it will only cost you the permit and construction costs.
If you intend to do this for the sale of the property that would be foolish you will not recoup the investment maybe just make it sell quicker because of the update and new condition.
Nunzio
It will only help you to convert the upstairs layout IF you have a master on the main & can offer a dual-master listing for sale. Many buyers are trying to house blended & extended families & require 2 masters to fulfill that goal. If you already have a viable master on the 1st floor, you may wish to save the time & expense of the remodel & price your home appropriately for sale & let the buyers sort out their needs.