Remodel & Renovate in Austin>Question Details

Sunny Cindy…, Home Owner in Austin, TX

Considering converting my single-story into a two-story. Would this be feasible? Or should I just look for a larger home?

Asked by Sunny Cindy Gill Najera, Austin, TX Thu May 2, 2013

Location: 78669 - Built in 2006 - 3/2.5/2
2nd story would consist of 2 BR & 1 BA

Answers

6
Bill Austin’s answer
Cindy,
Off the cuff...
Is it possible to add a second story? Yes. Is it practical? Probably not for structural & financial reasons. Odds are you could sell your current home and make out OK. Many many details needed to fill in the blanks.
In 78669, sell and purchase another!
I'll explain some more details on the nightmare of adding a second story and the future issues you may have. Just phone or email me direct via my website:
http://ShawnMon.com/

We will talk about the process, headaches, and the compromising the integrity of the structure as well as alterating the settlement of the home, resulting in future foundation issues, interior damage, etc.
Web Reference: http://shawnmon.com
Sorry Cindy, correction, the 23 single family homes I mention are 5 bedrooms. I used 5 bedrooms in my search based on your after add-on total of your current home.
Cindy: There are so many variables to cosider here that giving a good answer is hard, but currently there are only 23 single family homes, excluding new contruction, for sale in your zip code. Selling and moving up might be a great option to consider in todays market.
Cindy - There are a lot of variables that need to be considered here. But one quick way would be to determine what the cost per sqft to add on would be (make sure you include all factors such as permits, interest on loans, GC Fees, etc). Compare that to what the going rate is per/sqft for homes of equal size to that of which your completed home would be. There is a reason that you see this type of remodel and additions in areas closest to downtown Austin. If it cost roughly $100/sqft to add on to a home in any location (finishout a variable), then it makes a lot of sense to do on a home that is getting $300/sqft on resales. But if the area is only getting $80/sqft, you are losing money. Hence, you should sell and buy a larger home.
Check with Home Owners Association, if any, City permit department and for financing consider HUD 203K renovation loan.