Debra B Albe…, Real Estate Pro in 34986

Chinese Drywall properties are being repaired. ~ Is it really possible to give these homes a Clean Bill of Health?

Asked by Debra B Albert PA, 34986 Sat Dec 4, 2010

I have heard concerns regarding the remediation of Chinese Drywall Homes. Many are being bought by investers, stripped and rebuilt. If it really possible to remove ALL doubt about the property being a healthy environment. My main concern is that the concrete block and the slab is concrete. Concrete is porious...so can you say for sure that the house will be healthy?

Answers

4
The problem is that the drywall dust gets everywhere and it is, at best, difficult to cleanup. There are a few sites that have more information than I can give you here. First is http://www.chinesedrywall.com/remediation.html for general information. There is one thing that all info sites agree on "Call your attorney first, before you start remediation.

If the source is removed Completely then there should be no more danger. Let me emphasize, "should be".
Don't take one persons word for it. Make sure at least 2 air quality tests are done.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
I personally have exactly the same doubts as you have. I really don't know the answer to your question.
I would suggest to contact the companies that specilize in chinese drywall, they should be able to clarify what and how things should be done to assure the property being a healthy environment in the future.
Since it is relatively new issue, I am not sure if anyone for sure can say that everything will be OK.
Probably the future will show.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 4, 2010
Ron an Debbie chinese drywall remains a huge issue. The hydrogen sulfide is quite reactive so it should theoretically react out of the system, but it could lead to widespread corrosion with other problems (think electrical fire)

Here is my four part trulia blog on the issue

http://www.trulia.com/blog/monirmamoun/2010/10/chinese_drywa…

GOOD LUCK
If the home has been properly remediated it is possible but a thorough process is very expensive. There are a couple of issues that should be considered. First, cross contamination is very common with these homes. To do an acceptable job a Chinese drywall rehabilation project involves more than simply removing the defective material. It's common to find that other parts of the home can become a concern....flooring, plumbing, masonry, wiring etc.

Another common problem associated with these projects is when the tainted dry wall is removed and an immediate reapplication is done without thoroughly cleaning adjacent areas and allowing the the building to "breath" or air out for a considerable period of time.

Before considering enterinto a venture involving the rehabilatation of one of these homes we would strongly recommend a conversation with a contractor that has experience with this type of project.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010