Remodel & Renovate in Austin>Question Details

UTHorn, Real Estate Pro in 78759

Cheap Remodel Advice

Asked by UTHorn, 78759 Wed Apr 27, 2011

Ugly kitchen cabinets. what's the cheapest way to beautify them? Expensive granite counters but it's an ugly color; lavender looking. What should I do with it? Is there an easy, cheap way to change the color?

Answers

5
JOSEPH E JARUSINSKY JR’s answer
UTHorn, good advice so far. As far as the granite, there are companies who will resurface the tops of counters, showers, etc. and I also just saw an ad on tv recently for a new do-it-yourself countertop re-surfacing kit. I believe they said it was available at Home Depot. Note that these companies/products put a coating or new surface over the existing surface, or granite in your case, and totally cover it up. That may be your intent color wise but you'll lose the Granite's surface. Hope that helps a bit. (Sorry, I didn't catch the name of the re-surface kit but I'm sure it can be found). Joe Jarusinsky, REALTOR/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Co.
Pretty solid advice so far. In order of best 'look' for your cabinets:
1) Re-face them and add new hardware (pulls and/or hinges)
2) Have a professional paint them and add new hardware (pulls and/or hinges)
- Email Jess Tomac at j-tomac at hotmail dot com. He does great work and is cost-effective.
3) Add new hardware (pulls and/or hinges)
4) Paint it yourself and add new hardware (pulls and/or hinges)

Whatever your choice, try to bring a sample of the granite to the paint store and get some help playing down the lavender. If you don't have a sample (or a good eye for color) you can email Alyssia Chapman (interior design consultant) at designdoc at mail dot com and hire her expert eye and opinion. If you don't trust yourself to pick a fantastic cabinet color to help downplay the lavender, the cost of Alyssia is well worth it.

Peace in your home,

Doug Vogelsass
REALTOR :: Agents for Change

cell :: (512) 739-0457
eFax: :: (918) 513-5112
email :: doug@myagentsforchange.com

15% of our net agent fees at the closing of our client's property will be donated to a charitable organization of their choice. We do this with ALL clients. This is our way of expressing our appreciation to both our clients and the worthy causes dedicated to the betterment of our communities.

9600 Escarpment Blvd :: Suite 745-75 :: Austin, TX :: 78749
Sponsoring broker :: David Komie, Attorney-at-Law (License# 584762).
A good paint job, new pulls can make a huge difference in the cabinets. If you can go a step farther, replacing doors will step it up even more. However, if the cabinets are low-quality... it's going to be difficult - lipstick on a pig.

Not much to do about the granite. What you put on the counters, creative lighting all affect how they appear. You might contact an interior designer or home stager for advice.

It's amazing what can be accomplished with a simple refacing of the cabinets in a neutral lighter color. If the cabinets are paintable, a good professional jub may accomplish the effect you are looking for.

I've seen lots of creative painting with Kitchen cabinets. I've had clients that made boring, white cabinets look like wood. Others have taken those same boring white cabinets and antiqued them. Oddly enough those with wood cabinets have painted them white or cream to make an older kitchen look new. If you're able to spend more money, you could do refacing where you buy new cabinet doors but keep the cabinet frames. I've seen all of these with great results! As for the granite, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe changing the cabinets and paint color in the room would make them look better? :)