Chrissy, Other/Just Looking in Edgerton, KS

Changing a 3/4 bath to 1/2 bath

Asked by Chrissy, Edgerton, KS Mon Aug 30, 2010

We have a Bi-level home with full bath upstairs, next to bedrooms, and very large 3/4 bath downstairs, next to family room. We are having flooding issues downstairs with plumbing and need to gut basement bath. When we remodel, would it hurt our resale value much to remove shower and just make it a half bath instead? I am thinking of shrinking the size of the bath as well and making the family room larger. The bath is extremely oversized (the same size as the family room). We are not planning to move anytime soon. Thank you.

Answers

2
Chrissy,

Your needs and personal preference should always prevail. However, one should never lose sight of the distant possibility of selling in the future.

With this said, it's not the size of the bath that is a major concern but the fact that each level would have greater appeal with both toilet and shower/bath accomodations. In our opinion to remodel and eliminate totally the shower/bath arrangement could be a great mistake. Each bath should have either a shower or a bath for best resale potential.

Good luck with your project!

Hello Chrissy,

If you are not planning on selling than I would make the improvements to fit your lifestyle though it sounds as if your downstairs bath is so oversized that you may even be able to reduce the size greatly without losing the shower. For resale that would be my recommendation. Having the second shower will certainly open you up to a larger market of buyers compared to just 1 bath and a half.

Theresa Kuyl
Your Savvy Realtor