Philsister, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Can you install hardwood or ceramic tile over polished concrete which has been sealed?

Asked by Philsister, San Antonio, TX Thu Apr 8, 2010

Answers

6
What alternatives were you contemplating?
First, the interior concrete must be thoroughly cleaned prior to the installation of tile or wood flooring and allowed to dry completely.

With a very smooth concrete it may need to be roughened up or etched using an acid based solution designed for this purpose.

Holes must be filled in and float off any dips, humps, or waves on the concrete foundation using a portland cement based floor leveler. Then, you must allow the leveler to cure for at least 24 hours before the tile or wood flooring can be installed.

When it comes to any wood flooring products, always go by the manufactures warranty on the structural integrity and what is the proper adhesive bond.

Next, find out from the manufacture about laying flooring over an existing concrete some may want new subfloor plywood or wood strips to be nailed down.
Yes, you will be able to find a flooring contractor can install hardwood or ceramic tile over polished concrete. Check out this: http://video.bobvila.com/m/21320495/installing-hardwood-floo…

If you have not found your next home yet: http://www.halfpriced.com Contact Half Priced Real Estate.
Web Reference: http://www.halfpriced.com
You need about 18 inches between concrete and hardwood floors. Some people tell me that the engineered hardwood can go directly onto concrete but the manufacturers recommend not.
Tile, as mentioned below needs to be laid on thinset and I don't think it will stick to the polish properly but am unsure what you would need to do to prepare the surface. You could ask at a big box place, your local hardware store, or better yet - ask someone who installs tile for a living how that would work.
I recommend you go to Lowe's or Homedepot and check with them. They should have someone who can walk you through the process and some of the stores used to have videos you can watch. Or go online. As a Realtor I can answer real estate questions but not remodel/repair work ones. Sorry
Ralph
I could be wrong but Most hardwood I've seen done had a subfloor on top of the concrete. That doesn't include snap together variety. ceramic tile can be placed on concrete. You need the thin set to bond to the tile and the concrete so not sure if the polish should be removed or not. Ask around at a bbix box home improvement store or one of the small flooring places. You might even get some samples and see which ones look better in your home.