Remodel & Renovate in 33610>Question Details

Sneakinup2010, Other/Just Looking in 33610

Can I rebuild an old mobile home on my property without a building permit? Tampa FL

Asked by Sneakinup2010, 33610 Mon Sep 27, 2010

The mobile home is in total disrepair. I want to basically build a new mobile home on the trailer frame. Septic, water and electric are already there.

Answers

8
Voices Member’s answer
A few weeks ago our office had a guest speaker who works in the permitting department for Hillsborough county. He said their answers to questions almost always begin with the phrase "it depends." To know for sure you will definitely need to contact them. But, keep this in mind, if you don't pull any permits and it was required, and they catch you, the penalties can be quite costly. As I recall, the penalty is triple the original cost of the permit plus all of the headaches that go along with it. I would really recommend you call them first.

Best of luck,

Trey Miller
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 28, 2010
Please call your building department, from a pay phone if you want to get this information. You would not like the results if it is NOT OK>

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 28, 2010
Why not just build a new home on the lot. In most cases you need no money down. Contact Allstate Homes. They specialize in this type of removal of old mobile homes and replacement with a concrete block home. http://www.allstatehomes.com
If you are rebuilding your mobile home - i.e. replacing flooring, putting in cabinets, or installing walls cabinets etc. you may not need to pull permits since a mobile home is not considered by itself real estate. However if you strip it down to the frame and try to rebuild - City or County may have some issues because you could weaken the structure and the connections to the ground making it less stable. You may need to redo the tie downs and I would suggest talking with Lisa Demmi and Chewning Inspections who specialize in mobile homes and other structual engineering and inspections about what you are doing and if they might be able to do an inspection to make sure your mobile home is secure after you rebuild. (813) 962-4392
Only the county can answer this correctly! My guess would be that "legally" you would need permits since you will be probably be running new wiring, water lines and changing walls and other structural items. Each of these have certain code requirements and would need to be inspected to be allowed. Best of luck!

Steven J. Pahl e-PRO
Keller Williams Tampa Properties

813-319-6423 Office
813-763-7245 Cell

Steve@StevenPahl.com
Web Reference: http://www.StevenPahl.com
Sneakinup2010:

I am personally unfamiliar with Tampa building and zoning laws. From my experiace- IF, you are "building up" its not a 'mobile" home... Real Property has a Tax Folio Number- Personal Property- like a mobile home has a special number assigned similar to a VIN. Best to check with You City Building and Zoning Department to know for sure.

♥.•*¨`*•♫.
≈≈≈ Mott Marvin Kornicki, REALTOR® ≈≈≈
Aventura | Bal Harbour | North Beach
≈≈≈≈≈≈ "★” This is the House “★" ≈≈≈≈≈≈

WATERWAY REALTY MIAMI, FL
The Broker Best on the Beach
Web Reference: http://activerain.com/mmk
For an accurate answer check with your local building's department--depending on the work needed to be done, permits may be necessary.
You need to check with your city bldg codes to see what work is okay to do without a permit. In your land of hurricanes and storms, I strongly recommend that you comply with everything that will make your home insurance company happy with you! And what if you want to sell in the future. Building to code always adds to the value of your home. Don't end up like Dorothy and Toto! Building codes also make sure that your contractor is doing his job! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA