Remodel & Renovate in 60616>Question Details

Jacky, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

Building a house on 2 RS-3 lot

Asked by Jacky, Chicago, IL Mon Sep 16, 2013

I currently own 2 RS-3 zoned lot 25x125 each is it possible for me to build one large house on the two lot or do I need special zoning done?

Answers

9
you might need a zoning variance and an approved plan.
What does the building and zoning department say?

City of Chicago :: Buildings
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bldgs.html‎
The Department of Buildings supports the safety and quality of life for the residents and visitors of the City of Chicago through enforcement of the Chicago ...
‎Learn when a Building Permit - ‎Building Permits - ‎Trade Licensing & General ...
Dear Jacky:

There is some preliminary work that must be done before anyone can give you advice on this. Sure you can build on this someday, but working with the right people first is key. I have been in the trades for 27 years working in and around Chicago. I would be glad to help you, however to consolidate two lots into one requires a variance, an application from the City completed and several other steps that are involved before an architect comes into play.
Feel free to contact us for more information.

John G Moustis
President / Owner
SPARTAN CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN, INC.
Phone & Fax: 630-963-6020
Email: jmoustis@spartancontractor.com
Website: http://www.spartancontractor.com

Quality building, remodeling & consulting services in the Chicagoland area since 1991
This may be possible however you need to execute several steps the first of which is hiring an architect experienced and familiar with local zoning and policy of the municipal area in which you want to build
Interview Dan Huschen as he is experienced at building single family homes in Chicago. 773 593 6088
What does your city planning commission say?
I believe yes. Go to cityofchicago.org and look at the zoning section. You will have to contact the zoning department regardless. Call them, they are nice and can probably tell you over the phone.
You can do this, you would just need to get the correct permits for it to be done.