Lollupaandi, Home Owner in Eden Prairie, MN

Bed to bath conversion

Asked by Lollupaandi, Eden Prairie, MN Sat May 19, 2012

Our home is a split entry. On the upper level, there are three bedrooms (13x11, 11x9 and 11x9) and one compact full bath. On the lower level, we have two bedrooms and a room, all 11x11, the third room needing just a closet to be classified as a bedroom. There's a 3/4 bath in the lower level. The lower level is a walkout basement.

We are thinking about adding an extra bath attached to the 13x11 master bedroom in the upper level. The best option, in terms of feasibility, looks like to convert one of the 11x9 bedrooms into a nice spacious full bath (with a lot of bells and whistles :-)) This room is right next to the plumbing wall of the existing bath, making it a nice candidate.

Our concern is though, what will this project do to the home value? We will be loosing the 3BR-in-same-level feature, but is it a big deal, given the additional rooms in the lower level? I should also mention that the ceiling is a foot shorter in the lower level.

Any opinions greatly appreciated...

Answers

1
Oooh Splits are my specialty!

At the end of the day it is all about what we call "neighborhood conformity" and ensuring that the master bathroom will pull more value for the home (once I know how much it is going to cost you) versus keeping the 3rd bed upstairs. At certain price points 3beds on one level will pull a very good price, where as the lower price points (under 170k) it usually does not matter because a lot of its competition does not have this feature either. The splits will just have 2beds up and 2beds down with a full on main floor and 3/4 in basement.

So essentially it is all about the trade off in your specific market. I would need to know the property address to tell you one way or the other.

Are you taking on this project and planning on staying in the home long term or planning on moving soon? If you would like some free help just contact me through Trulia and I would be more than happy to help.