Remodel & Renovate in 91436>Question Details

LBBSKA, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Ballpark estimate for building in Encino, CA? Interested in a ~900 sf 2nd story add-on refurbishing existing 2500 sf (including moving walls, etc).

Asked by LBBSKA, Los Angeles, CA Mon Mar 5, 2012

we'd want to update bathrooms, reconfigure some rooms, and possibly expand the yard space. I know it will vary widely depending on materials, etc., but I have no idea if this would be 100K or 400K, and wanted to get a sense for budgeting. Also, is there a cheaper time of the year to start the project? How long would it take? thanks.

Answers

5
So great timing as I am trying to do the same for my own home. Below are the answers that may be helpfull:

1. Where in Encino? If you are in the hills than you have an issue with Mullholland coridor and scenic views. You can only add 500 sq ft without getting special approvals or 900 sq ft
2. If its on a hillside than you need site survey (3k)
3. Structural and Architectual plans (5000-7000 combined costs)
4. Permits: Go to Building and Safety to estimate (2k)
5. How old is your home? May need to upgrade codes - unk costs
5. Constructiion (110-150 per sq ft that includes everything) This depends if you go with someone licensed and experienced versus hiring construction workers at a lower cost
6. Seasonality: Winter is cheaper
7. Timeline- Depends on your contractor but plan for at least 4 months
As Phil pointed out, it really depends where you are in Encino. For 91436 zip code if you build it will most likley be in the hillside and the costs will be much higher. Otherwise, you are looking at around 125 per sq foot plus permits. Anywhere between 3-6 months.
You could also start with a FHA counselor who is certified to do cost analysis for 203K renovation loans. I specialize in FHA 203K loans and there are many, many benefits of meeting with a FHA consultant prior to meeting with, or selecting, a contractor. First they will tell you what NEEDS to be done (if any) and then add on the WANT list. They will provide you a itemized report that will give you expected costs for the entire project that a lender would accept. This could assist you in selecting a contractor by having pretty concrete numbers for comparison. The consultant's fees are set by FHA and are pretty reasonable.

Of course, if you want any information of FHA 203k financing availability for your project please contact me via my profile. I would be happy to provide you any information that you may need. Best of luck to you.
Hello, my name is Steve Kossover, I'm a contractor in the Encino Area and I can give you a free estimate on the work you'd like to do. Give me a call and we can talk, Thanks.
My number is 818.486.5953